none
Need to set a CD/DVD-RW drive to be read-only RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows XP, how can I make a CD/DVD-RW drive to be read-only? I need the ability to temporarily completely disable all write capability for the drive, and then return it back to its original state when done.

I found the Microsoft KB article that explains how to do this via regedit for a CD drive, but it does not list the values to set for a CD/DVD drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529/

The registry setting is located in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives\Volume{GUID]

I know it's an odd request, but I appreciate any help you can offer.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:48 AM

All replies

• Why not just uncheck the "Enable CD recording on this drive" box in the drive's Properties>Recording tab?

You can also use the Group Policy Editor:

RUN>gpedit.msc -

Navigate to the User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Explore directory.  There is a setting in there: "Remove CD Burning features" - enable it.

GA P35 DQ6 Mb, Intel Wolfdale 8600 3.33Ghz C2D CPU., 4x2Gb Mushkin DDR2 1066 PC2 8500 Ascents Memory Mods., PNY-nVidia GE Force 8800 GTS (640MB), 4-Western Digital Caviar SATA(2) HDD's (internal), 1 EIDE-USB External; Hauppauge PVR 1600 TV tuner, Dual Monitor: (1) Standard up top, (1) WideScreen below; Altec Lansing Speakers. Here Kitty, Kitty...that's my Kitty Kat, he's a Kat, because he is kat...kat.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:00 AM