none
Unable to backup because the agent is not responding RRS feed

• Question

• Over the weekend, 3 out of 11 similarly configured servers on our DPM server started reporting that they could not contact the protection agent because it didn't respond. The agent screen shows:

The protection agent operation on rocklererpax3.rockler.loc failed because the service did not respond. Internal error code: 0x8099090E

The protection items error out with:

DPM failed to communicate with the protection agent on rocklererpdb1.rockler.loc because the agent is not responding. (ID 43 Details: Internal error code: 0x8099090E)

I have tried restarting the DPM agents, have verified that pings work, SMB sharing works, I can remote query the services on the remote server, and 'Wmic /node:servername OS list brief' works. All of these tested both ways. Wmic is slow (15-25 seconds) from two of the agent servers to the DPM server, but fast from the other problem agent server.

There are no firewalls configured between the two hosts and I've run setDPMServer again from the clients just incase.

When I start a backup of a failed backup item on the DPM server, the agent server creates a snapshot and starts processing it (watched through the resource monitor), but eventually the whole thing times out. 

Any ideas?

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:14 PM

Answers

• It appears the problem was due to updates that were waiting for a reboot to finish installing. After bringing the servers up to date, everything worked again.
    • Marked as answer by MattM6 Friday, July 22, 2011 5:47 PM
    Friday, July 22, 2011 5:46 PM

All replies

• Stop the Antivirus software and check the status, if no luck

Try to remove those affected server from protection group

Ininstall the DPM agents manually

Re Push the agen from DPM, once it is installed, reconfigure the protection group.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:01 PM
  • Hello,

I have seen this error and behaviour caused by different things.  

I'd start with making sure antivirus on both servers is NOT scanning the DPM directory and processes. 
    At a minimal I'd start with following this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399439.aspx but I'd prefer to exclude the whole DPM directory in my opinion.

After this is done a verified, see if this makes a difference.

Are you certain the integrated firewall is not turned on the servers? From a command prompt type:
         netsh <enter>
         firewall <enter>
         advfirewall <enter>
         show allprofiles <enter>

Does this show the status as OFF?

Thanks,
    Shane

Monday, July 18, 2011 12:40 PM
  • It appears the problem was due to updates that were waiting for a reboot to finish installing. After bringing the servers up to date, everything worked again.
    • Marked as answer by MattM6 Friday, July 22, 2011 5:47 PM
    Friday, July 22, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Hello,

So pending reboot due to windows updates caused the agent not to respond, is this correct?
    I've never heard of that causing an agent to not respond.  Which particular updates were applied?
    The other servers that were responding, did they have the same updates applied as well?

Thanks,
    Shane

Monday, July 25, 2011 12:20 AM