Default Content Type in Library RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I'm sure Mike or someone will move it if necessary. :)

I have a document library that has 6 content types associated with it.  I have one of those content types marked as the default content type.

What I am noticing is that depending on what type of document is uploaded into the library (doc, docx etc.), the default content type keeps changing.

Does anyone know why this is and or how I can make my specified default content type stick no matter what type of document is uploaded?

Thank you for your thoughts/comments!

Sincerely,

Tim

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:24 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Tim,

Did you set the default content type in Document Library Settings > Change new button order and default content type under Content Types? Then set order for the 6 content types. The Content Type you set to 1 would be the default content type in that document library.

Follow this step and if you haven’t did any other customization, I think the default content type would always disappear as the first place in Content Type column when you upload a document.

Please let me know if I missed anything. Thanks.

Best regards. Emir
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Monday, December 27, 2010 8:25 AM
    Friday, December 24, 2010 7:41 AM

All replies

• > Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I'm sure Mike or someone will move it if necessary. :)

Moving to Setup *Admin* as per request.

(Design/Customization is really for customization such as branding typically using SPD 2007 and other things such as Data View Web Parts that require SPD 2007. That said I'm not moving that many incorrectly located posts these days since my re-appearance here after my leaving in August - just the ones which are really clear such as a recent search question posted to the workflow forum)

Moderator, Mike

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Did you set the default content type in Document Library Settings > Change new button order and default content type under Content Types? Then set order for the 6 content types. The Content Type you set to 1 would be the default content type in that document library.

Follow this step and if you haven’t did any other customization, I think the default content type would always disappear as the first place in Content Type column when you upload a document.

Please let me know if I missed anything. Thanks.

Best regards. Emir
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Monday, December 27, 2010 8:25 AM
    Friday, December 24, 2010 7:41 AM