Driver for Nikon Coolpix S550 Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell Inspirion 1520 laptop.

Just received a new Nikon Coolpix S550 camera.

When turning the camera on to do the install I get the following message

"Driver Installation Stopped Working and Was Closed"

Then Windows runs for about two minutes and comes back with the following:

"The extended attributes are inconsistant"

It working with Nikon Tech Support they had me do a reinstall of the driver (wpdmdp.inf) from the hard drive. Had me turn disconnect all USB devices first. Still didn't work. Concluded by saying hadn't heard of this message about "extended attributes" and that I needed to talk with the hardware manufacturer.

Then went to Dell Customer support. The exchange concluded with a suggestion to run Vista "Startup/Repair" which would fix possibly corrupted files. However have not done this. I do have the manufacturer's disk "Drivers and Utilities Already Installed on Your Computer".

The camera works fine with my three year old computer running XP.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I try anything else?

Thanks,

Bill Shaw

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 6:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From MSDN(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms837804.aspx), we can find the follow information:

Error Message:

The extended attributes are inconsistent.

User Action:

Contact the supplier of the running application.

This issue is happened on Nikon driver’s side.

However, I would like to share the steps of Repair Windows Vista with you.

First of all, please set the computer boot from CD/DVD.

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then restart the computer.

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next.

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

If the issue still persists after repairing Window Vista, it highly recommend to contact Nikon technical Support to continue report this issue. Thank you for your understanding.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 10:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From MSDN(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms837804.aspx), we can find the follow information:

Error Message:

The extended attributes are inconsistent.

User Action:

Contact the supplier of the running application.

This issue is happened on Nikon driver’s side.

However, I would like to share the steps of Repair Windows Vista with you.

First of all, please set the computer boot from CD/DVD.

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then restart the computer.

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next.

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

If the issue still persists after repairing Window Vista, it highly recommend to contact Nikon technical Support to continue report this issue. Thank you for your understanding.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 10:03 AM
  • Thanks for the note. However, if this is a driver problem from the manufacturer (Nikon) they why would I want to get involved in a Repair Windows Vista activity. Sounds major.

Does reinstalling the suspect driver wpdmdp.inf from the manufactures disk make sense? I have the disk from Dell "Drivers and Utilities Already Installed on Your Computer". The logic here is that the file is corrupted on the hard drive, then it still might be good on the mfg. disk. Or would the repair function detect any discrepancy between driver on the hard drive and that on the mfg. disk?

If it made sense to do just the reinstall of the one driver how would I do it?

Frankly I have not had the time to contact Nikon further. It's too time consuming so I take the memory chip out of the camera and insert it manually in the laptop to upload pictures.

Thanks for taking a look at it.

Regards,

Bill

Friday, July 11, 2008 12:24 PM
  • Hi Bill,

Thank you for your update.

Regarding the wpdmdp.inf, please understand that Microsoft is not the manufacturer, we do not have more information on this product and its driver. It is still recommended to contact Nikon for a better quality support. Thank you for your understanding.

Besides, you can use a laptop read the memory chip directly as a workaround. When you free, please continue to address this issue with Nikon Support.

Again, thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:46 AM