Client reassociation From One Primary Site & Management Point to a 2nd secondary Site Management Point in the same name space RRS feed

• Question

• I have a primary site and built a secondary child site.  This is so that all clients at the secondary site (which are across a WAN link) are associated with their local management point.  However, the clients are still associated with the primary site/management point.  We have setup a boundary for the secondary site and ip range within the secondary site that is exclusive to that remote WAN site.
    How do we get the clients associated with their respective management point/site.

Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Client are always assigned to a primary site. If you have configured the boundaries at the secondary site along with a MP then clients will use that as a Proxy Management Point. You can check the clientlocation.log and locationservices.log to verify that the clients are using the local ressources.
    Kent Agerlund | http://agerlund.spaces.live.com/blog/
    • Proposed as answer by John Marcum Friday, May 22, 2009 1:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by TorstenMMVP Friday, May 22, 2009 8:01 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Client are always assigned to a primary site. If you have configured the boundaries at the secondary site along with a MP then clients will use that as a Proxy Management Point. You can check the clientlocation.log and locationservices.log to verify that the clients are using the local ressources.
    Kent Agerlund | http://agerlund.spaces.live.com/blog/
    • Proposed as answer by John Marcum Friday, May 22, 2009 1:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by TorstenMMVP Friday, May 22, 2009 8:01 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:36 PM
  • wow, you get the award for longest post title of the year ;-)
    John Marcum, Systems Management Architect - www.TrueSec.com
    Friday, May 22, 2009 1:24 AM
  • Found out something interesting when I checked the following log files on a client PC that belongs to the secondary site boundary.  This PC has the client sw installed.
    When Checking the ClientLocation.log & LocationServices.log files I found the following:
    The LocationServices.log files has statestment such as: Retrieved local Management Point from AD:
    Retrieved Proxy Management Point from AD:
    Both statements referred to our Seondary Site Server. Which is what I want but Configuratin mgr icon from control panel on the same workstation the has the Management point field is pointing to the management point of the parent site server.

ClientLocation.log refers to a statements: Current Management Point is:
    this staatemts alternattes back and forth between the secondary site server and the primary site server.
    the last 5 to 8 entries have it consistantly stating that the management point is the secondary site server (Again, which is what I want.).

Its strange that the Config mgr Icon in Control Panel is showing the managment poing to be primary site server (Bad)  but the logs are showing the MP  to be the secondary (Good).  Is this normal?  I know that clients cannot be direct members of a secondary site but I would have thought the MP field would still show correct in the GUI.

Please Advse and Thank you for your assistance.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:39 PM
  • clients are never assigned to secondry sites so the primary site code is supposed to show in the control panel. I am not sure where you are seeing the MP in the control panel icon though but if the logs show the correct one I think that part is ok.
    John Marcum, Systems Management Consultant - www.TrueSec.com
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:54 PM
  • Im seeing the MP pointing to the primary site server in the managepoint field on the General Tab of the Config Mgr Icon in control panel.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:04 PM