Writing pad stopped recognising my language RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP TM2 laptop with a multi-touch screen and Windows 7 Home Premium. I have enjoyed using the handwriting input for a while now, but it stopped working the other day. Its button on the on-screen keyboard is suddenly greyed out and gives a pop-up saying "The writing pad is not available for the input language you have selected."

I have a bit of an unusual setup, as I use English as my display language and Swedish as my input language. There's a help section which states that handwriting recognition only works for the display language and English, leaving Swedish out of the equation on my system. True enough, such is the state of things now, with the pad only accessible with English as the input language. But why on earth did it work before? I used the pad with Swedish as the input language for weeks before this happened -- even the calibration thing was in Swedish, and gave me dozens and dozens of Swedish sentences to write in a row. What happened?

I've been pondering whether it's in fact the display language that has changed, as I honestly don't remember what language I started out with. I'm not sure if that's possible with Home Premium though -- it certainly isn't possible to change it at this point (requires Ultimate ed.).  So, yeah, I've got nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

• Edited by noaxark Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:43 AM typos and whatnot
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In the Control Panel, go to Regional and Language Options. On the Languages tab click the Details button. On the new "Text Services and Input Languages" dialog that opens, go to the Advanced tab.

If "Turn off advanced text services" is checked then the handwriting recognition will be disabled.

If "Extend support of advanced text services to all programs" is NOT checked then you won't get the pop-up TIP keyboard in non-tablet-aware programs that use the standard text controls.

In case certain software you installed have interfere with the handwritting program, I would suggest prepare a clean boot to troubleshoot the issue. Please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796 for details. In addition, as the issue occurs recently, system restore can be under consideration.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Tuesday, July 6, 2010 2:13 AM
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:53 AM