Do we have separate Sync Schedule for Definition Update versus Critical Updates in SCCM 2012? RRS feed

• Question

• I started to use Endpoint Protection because I just upgraded to SCCM 2012. I notice the Definition Updates is listed together with Critical Updates and Security Updates. They seems to have the same sync schedule under Software Update Point Component. I normally deploy security updates monthly to the clients; however I may want to deploy definition updates more than once a day to some critical servers. Do I have to set my SUP to sync multiple times a day with microsoft to get the new definition updates or Definition Updates can be downloaded differently? I use many microsoft products and it take a long time for the SUP to sync and I would hate to change the schedule just to get the definition updates more frequently.  
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes you will have to configure your SUP to sync multiple times a day, MS will release up to Three definition updates per day so every 8 hours is a setting I normally use.

Then configure your ADR for Definition updates to run multiple times a day as well and you are good to go.

There is no way of only synchronizing the Definition Updates to the SUP from Microsoft Update, so you will have to do a full sync. Normally I don't experience any performance issue with it.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

• Proposed as answer by NPherson Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kimin Friday, July 26, 2013 11:49 PM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes you will have to configure your SUP to sync multiple times a day, MS will release up to Three definition updates per day so every 8 hours is a setting I normally use.

Then configure your ADR for Definition updates to run multiple times a day as well and you are good to go.

There is no way of only synchronizing the Definition Updates to the SUP from Microsoft Update, so you will have to do a full sync. Normally I don't experience any performance issue with it.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

• Proposed as answer by NPherson Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kimin Friday, July 26, 2013 11:49 PM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:18 PM
  • I am glad you also want to deploy definition updates more than once a day. By any chance you still have the info on Microsoft's schedule on definition updates. I search but could not find the info. Thanks.
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 9:55 PM
  • Found the info for "definition updates" schedule in this link,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977939/en-us

I was looking for the actual time in the day that the definition updates being released but it was not listed. 

Friday, July 26, 2013 11:49 PM