none
AD DNS Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Well I have a situation I have NEVER seen before.  I have taken over at an office and have discovered several things missing/misconfigured with an AD domain.  I see all sorts of NTFRS errors and such but I honestly believe the problem is DNS.  When I launch the DNS management console and expand the ONE and ONLY DNS/DC server in the domain, I see the domain zone.  The _msdsc zone is missing.  I can create the _msdsc zone manually but it never populates with all the SRV records that should exist under that zone.  Also, there are NO records under the domain zone except for the SOA records.  If I create a static DNS entry I receive the message that it was created successfully.  If I refresh the screen it immediately disappears.  I have tried dcdiag /fix and all sorts of stuff to no avail.  This is a single domain with a single DC so I have no other servers to pull/restore data from.  I'm at a loss as how to fix this issue.  They have other network issues which, I think, comes back to DNS not working properly.  When I first looked at the IP settings, the DC was pointing to itself as the primary DNS server but it also had the router as the secondary DNS server.  ????  Who does that?  Any help, and fast, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chad

Thursday, May 19, 2016 4:49 AM

All replies