Some SharedServices schedules not running RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have some SharedServices schedules that seem to not be working (in MOSS 2007).  In particular the profile import and audience compilation Also, it seems that whatever job populates the SharePoint Memberships web parts is not working.  Schedules in central admin seem to work fine because I have stuff set up on content deployment and that is running when scheduled.  Also, the schedule for the search crawl in the SSP seems to be working, so I don't understand why profile import and audience compilation are not working.  Both run fine if I manually run them, just not when they are supposed to run automatically via the schedule.

Also strange is that in Central Admin -> Operations ->  Timer Job Definitions, it shows profile synchronization ran recently.  It is in the SSP where it shows last ran was some days ago (or when I last manually ran it).  Also, in Central Admin -> Operations ->Timer job status I see twice as many 'profile synchronization' jobs as in Time job definitions, and some of those do have old dates on the last time they ran.

Any ideas how to get these jobs running on schedule again.  I have already tried re-setting the configuration cache, restarting the timer service, and even rebooting the server.

Monday, April 1, 2013 7:17 PM

Answers

• I actually got my whole issue fixed the other day by removing the second server from the farm, and then adding it back in.  I looked through the services and I'm pretty sure the timer service was running (before I un-joined), but I don't know that for sure.  it is definitely running now though.  Besides, I doubt the job would try to run on schedule if the timer were stopped.  it tried to run, it would just fail to compile the audience.

Anyway, all is working now.  Seems really, really odd that just the audience compillation would suddenly try to start running on the other erver.  I think a windows update might have caused it because it was running fine for a long time.  Thanks for your help though.  any and all ideas help.

Friday, April 5, 2013 9:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir Liu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Emir Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 10:15 AM
  • I have also tried re-running the sharepoint products and technologies configuration wizzard.  That didn't help.  I turned on verbose logging on the ULS logs.  It appears that it tries to run profile stuff on schedule, but then immediately finishes without doing anything.

SharePoint Portal Server       User Profiles                  62lm Verbose  Synchronizing the User Profile Application 'af20e00a-79cf-400c-afeb-f1203953df80'. 
    04/01/2013 20:59:43.18  OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0B90)                    0x0C90 SharePoint Portal Server       User Profiles                  62mb Verbose  User Profile application 'af20e00a-79cf-400c-afeb-f1203953df80' synchronization complete. 
    04/01/2013 20:59:43.18  OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0B90)                    0x0C90 Windows SharePoint Services    Timer                          8e46 Verbose  End invoke timer job Shared Services Provider Synchronizing Job, id {A77A79A2-7144-40F5-A75F-8E90E4719252}, DB n/a

x2BF8 SharePoint Portal Server       User Profiles                  62py Medium   UserProfileChangeJob.RefreshOrganizationalColleagues: Begin updating organizational colleagues. 
    04/01/2013 20:59:44.18  OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0B90)                    0x2BF8 SharePoint Portal Server       User Profiles                  62q0 Medium   UserProfileChangeJob.RefreshOrganizationalColleagues: Updated 0 events. 
    04/01/2013 20:59:44.18  OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0B90)                    0x2BF8 SharePoint Portal Server       User Profiles                  62q1 Medium   UserProfileChangeJob.RefreshOrganizationalColleagues: Done updating organizational colleagues: 0.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:15 PM
  • I found something else strange, but maybe promising.  Our environment is a 3 server set up, but mainly 2 are used with one being the WFE running all services and the other being the DB backend.  A third server has SharePoint installed, as a seconed WFE but with no services running on it.  The intent was for it to be a hot spare where we would just turn on the services if WFE 1 goes down.  However, on WFE 2 I see a lot of errors in the event viewer that say

Failed to compile audience. Exception was: 'Failed to obtain crawl status.'

event id is 5693

I don't know why this was happening though.  No services were supposed to be running on that server. Anyway, I started up 'Windows SharePoint Services Web Application' and 'Windows SharePoint Services Help Search'.  I guess I will see tomorrow if that helped.  I also fixed an error with the backups.  I doubt that would do anthing but if the log files were pretty big then maybe it would make a difference (unfortunately I didn't get a chance to check the log file sizes before it was too late)

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 10:25 PM
  • Do you have the timer service running on the standby server? It is not a good idea to have a server in farm not running any service. Each server in a farm will poll to complete background tasks like sending alerts, compile scopes, audience, etc. I do not believe the Web Application and Help Search services are required to be started on all servers in a farm. However, the timer service is absolutely required.
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 2:44 PM
  • I actually got my whole issue fixed the other day by removing the second server from the farm, and then adding it back in.  I looked through the services and I'm pretty sure the timer service was running (before I un-joined), but I don't know that for sure.  it is definitely running now though.  Besides, I doubt the job would try to run on schedule if the timer were stopped.  it tried to run, it would just fail to compile the audience.

Anyway, all is working now.  Seems really, really odd that just the audience compillation would suddenly try to start running on the other erver.  I think a windows update might have caused it because it was running fine for a long time.  Thanks for your help though.  any and all ideas help.

Friday, April 5, 2013 9:41 PM