Exchange 2010 UM - Outlook Voice Access only RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Is it possible just to setup Oulook Voice Access (OVA) only? and leave all other funictions out like voice mail on the existing legacy system? e.g. so users can listen to their email / calendar over any phone via UM but their voice mail and call forward ..etc will still be managed by the existing phone system? 

What will I need - I presume just a IP gateway that links to their exisiting phone system?

How will it work? will users have 2 numbers? one for their work and other for OVA e.g. Work - 01234567891 and OVA - 10234567892 ?

Thanks

ECL

Saturday, December 4, 2010 2:13 PM

Answers

• One of the features in Exchange 2010 UM - the ability to identify a user based on the calling number. The calling number will identify who the user is, and the PIN will ensure they're authenticated. Per your last comment, "from any phone" if the user was calling from an unknown number, they would have to enter both their extension and pin.

Does that help?

• Marked as answer by ECL Wednesday, December 8, 2010 8:26 PM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 7:43 PM

All replies

• Sounds like it would unnecesarily complicate things and make troubleshooting difficult. I would suggest going with one architecture and either use all all the UM functionality or none.

Saturday, December 4, 2010 3:03 PM
  • The client is only after the functionality to listen to their emails / calendar over the mobile phone. So do you think it is possible?  

Saturday, December 4, 2010 8:44 PM
  • I suppose anything is possible, but you would need to check with the PBX /IP Gateway vendors on how to accomplish this.

Saturday, December 4, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Yes, that's possible. You'd need a SIP gateway if the PBX doesn't support sip. To simplify it for the users I suggest creating an Exchange contact called "Company VM" (or some other name that doesn't contain the keyword "Voice Mail") and associate the phone number for that account with your legacy voicemail system. Then configure Exchange outbound dialing to only allow calls to the Legacy VM Number. Using the numbers below the users would only call number 1111, and if they want to reach voicemail they simply say "Call Company VM," which tells Exchange to call the legacy VM number 1112.

Exchange UM: 1111

Legacy VM: 1112

I hope that helps.

-Luke

Sunday, December 5, 2010 7:16 AM
  • Hi Luke, sounds promising. Just to clarify how will your example work with multiple users? E.g user1 call 1001 to access their mailbox from their mobile phone. User2 call 1002 to access thier mailbox from their mobile phone. Then both users can call the "company vm" to access the company voice mail? Thanks Ecl
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 7:29 PM
  • In that scenario user1 and user2 would call "1001." If Exchange 2010 is used and the users' phone numbers are in active directory, Exchange would know who they are and simply ask for their PIN (provided the correct calling number is passed through the PBX/Gateway). At they point they will be in Outlook voice access. From there, they can use the voice command " Call Company VM" to be directed to the legacy voicemail system (Exchange would transfer them to 1002). From there it's up to the legacy system to determine who's who. If the legacy system can interpret the calling number, diversion header (if sip), and/or call history it might be able who the original caller is, thus just prompting the user for their PIN. The worst case scenario would have the users enter their extension and pin again.
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 10:55 PM
  • Hi Luke,

Still a little confused - are you saying that ALL users will access "Outlook Voice Access" using the same number e.g. 1001

Then the PIN will uniquely identify each user?

e.g. if user1 call 1001 from any phone (internal and external) and enter PIN 1234 Exchange will know it is user1

And if  if user2 call 1001 and enter PIN 1235 Exchange will know it is user2 directing them to the correct mailbox so they can listen to their emails and calendar?

Thanks

ECL

Monday, December 6, 2010 1:43 PM
  • One of the features in Exchange 2010 UM - the ability to identify a user based on the calling number. The calling number will identify who the user is, and the PIN will ensure they're authenticated. Per your last comment, "from any phone" if the user was calling from an unknown number, they would have to enter both their extension and pin.

Does that help?

• Marked as answer by ECL Wednesday, December 8, 2010 8:26 PM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 7:43 PM
  • Hi Luke,

Thanks for your help so far .... I think I got confused in your 2nd reply where you said "In that scenario user1 and user2 would call "1001"." and in your last reply you said each user has their own number and pin to authenticate to OVA. I think maybe I getting confused with the extension number and the actual telephone number:)

Can you tell me if my following examples of user1 and user2 are valid?

• USER1
    • number to access user1 OVA is 01234567-1001 / Pin 1234.
    • user1 can call "company vm" in OVA to access his old voice mail system 
    • Anyone can call user1 on his old phone system on 01234567-2001 
    • USER2
    • number to access user2 OVA is 01234567-1002 / Pin 1235.
    • user1 can call "company vm" in OVA to access his old voice mail system 
    • Anyone can call user1 on his old phone system on 01234567-2002 

Thanks

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 10:23 AM