All file and Folders are Read-Only - Why? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guy's

I know this has been posted before but I'm going to post it again to try and find a solution to it.

On my 'E' drive all of my Files and Folders are Read-Only, and in the Dialog box the 'Read-Only' box is ticked and grayed out. When you untick it, it completes the changes with no errors but when you check again it has put the 'tick' back in the box. I would just ignore this but because the folders are Read-Only some programs will not write information or say the Can't write data to the file and folders even though I am able to create, edit and delete folders and files.

Does anyone have a solution yet? Im runing Windows Server 2008 R2. (Vertualized - a Vertaul Machine).

Would installing a new drive to the trick?

Regards

Tom Park

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

Thank you for your post.

Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories, and other programs.

For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System attributes of folders.

For more information, please refer to the below KB article.

You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549/en-us

Best Regards,

James

• Proposed as answer by Meinolf Weber Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Zou Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:31 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Tom,

Thank you for your post.

Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories, and other programs.

For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System attributes of folders.

For more information, please refer to the below KB article.

You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549/en-us

Best Regards,

James

• Proposed as answer by Meinolf Weber Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Zou Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:31 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:35 AM
  • Hi I have read through the artical Disribed and I have attempted what has is suggested but I am still not having any luck. I've checked all of my Vertual Servers and all of them have the same issue on their second HDD, which is split form the 'C'. also all servers 'C' drives are Read-Only too with the grayed out box.

Any ideas

Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Hi Tom,

The read only attribute on folders is a legacy throwback from DOS. Windows uses it to determine whether the folder has a customized Explorer view, changing it in the GUI won't actually make any difference.

Could you Add/Edit/Delete files in your folders?

If you have issues changing the contents of folders, you should check the NTFS permissions rather than the attributes (though some older applications will respect the read only attribute on individual files).

Best Regards,

James

Friday, June 24, 2011 2:09 AM