Error when installing SCSM 2012 Web Portal RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install System Center Service Manager 2012 Web portal.

I've got a server that has Service Manager 2012 Management Server installed on it. I am trying to add on the web console (this is just a test/lab/demo environment). The installer goes through the prompts, then on the final step (progress bat at top), it gets the following 3 parts completed, then errors out on the 4th:

-> Initialize
    -> Install files
    -> Configure Registry Settings

Then, on the 4th step, Configure Web Portal Site, i get the following error:
    "  An error occurred while executing a custom action:_GrantLocalPermissionsToWCSAccount.11EE91AB_EABF_48A6_9973_4DCD73190AC6
    This upgrade attempt has failed before permanent modifications were made. Upgrade has successfully rolled back to the original state of the system. Once the correction are made, you can retry upgrade for this role.  "

Can anyone help me?

Saturday, December 10, 2011 12:11 AM

Answers

• I am not sure if you guys have got the resolution for this issue or no. I have it.

The installation account requires the Domain admin permission. Based on the testing with AD team, the failure can be caused because the account making the AD query does not have permission to "Read all properties" for the users.The API collects data from the queried object from multiple locations in AD. If it is unable to read any specific data related to the queried object due to the lock down, it will fail with this error.

You can remove the domain admin permissions after the installation completed successfully.

Friday, August 24, 2012 7:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

can you please just confirm that the account you are using to install the portal is a Local admin of the server you are trying to install the portal onto.

F.

As long as you learn something new every day, the day is not wasted.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Thank you.

I am installing it as myself, and i am a domain admin. I even tried right clicking and doing "Run as Administrator", with the same results.

Any more ideas out there??

Monday, December 12, 2011 5:00 PM
  • I have the same problem.

It seems to be a problem in some operation envolving the web portal service account, maybe while giving it some permission, but I can't figure it out.

No one knows how to solve this?

Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Just so you guys know, I was able to install the web portal.

Since I was using the same account I was using for sharepoint for SCSM web portal I created a new account, removed the old account from the local group "SCSM Web Content Server Accounts" and also removed the group and then started the setup again.

Don't know exactly where was the problem but I am happy the problem is solved.

Hope this help you guys too.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:01 PM
  • Hmm, When i look at the server i am trying to install the Web Portal on to, i do not see any local groups for SCSM. 

We do not have sharepoint installed either. I am just setting this up for a test/demo/proof-of-concept, so i am using our Domain Admin account for all of the setups (assuming i would be able to avoid any permission issues)... should i not be doing this?

I'm glad to hear you were able to get it working, but i am still stuck! :(

Help!

Friday, December 16, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Hi

The install does create a local group - SCSM Web Content Server Accounts - on the web server and does add the "service account" to this group. It might well be that the roll back is removing this group. 

When I have installed it in my test lab, I have logged in with an account that is a Service Manager administrator and a local windows administrator on the box. I have used the Service Manager service account for the ssp portal account as the portal account is added to Service Manager administrators as part of the install.

Domain Admins won't necessarily be Service Manager admins - so you might want to make sure your account is in the Service Manager administrator group.

Cheers

Graham 

New SCOM 2012 Blog! - http://www.systemcentersolutions.com/blog/
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 1:21 PM
  • Hi

I had the exact same problems, here's what worked for me:

- Open Server Manager -> Configuration -> Local Users & Groups -> Groups

- Lunch SSP setup, and the second it starts installing go back to local groups

- Refresh the list until SCSM Web Content Server Accounts appears

- Open the Group, and add all the Service Manager account (i added all my accounts to be sure)

- Wait the the setup for finish

Good luck

Michael

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:35 PM
  • I saw the group appear during installation, but by the time i had added a user to it, the group was automatically removed by the installer due to the error that it encounters.

I manually created that group (using the exact same name that get's created during install), and added my administrators to it. I re-ran the install, and it came up with the same error, AND it deleted the group that i had created...

In the group, i had tried adding myself, our Domain Admin account, and the Domain Admins group. The installer still failed with the same error listed in the opening message of this thread. So frustrating!!

I appreciate the help everyone!! I'm sure someone out there has got the answer that i need :-)

Dan

Dan
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Hi Dan

Are the accounts you are using for the install Service Manager administrators? Domain Admins won't necessarily be Service Manager administrators.

If all else fails, I'd open a bug report on https://connect.microsoft.com

Cheers

Graham

New SCOM 2012 Blog! - http://www.systemcentersolutions.com/blog/
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Have Same Issue with upgrade from eval to RTM

MCSE:S, MCSE:M, MCITP, MCTS, CCNA, CCDA Infrastructure expert

Saturday, May 5, 2012 4:11 PM
  • Damn, I have the same issue installing SCSM 2012
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:05 PM
  • i`m delete CSM Web Content Server Accounts group and sucsessaful upgrade portal

MCSE:S, MCSE:M, MCITP, MCTS, CCNA, CCDA Infrastructure expert

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:54 PM
  •  delete CSM Web Content Server Account group before restart installation
    Sunday, June 10, 2012 12:48 PM
  • I have the same error. Where i find this account group on windows server 2012?

Thanks in advance,

Luca

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Hi Luca

Windows Server 2012 is not supported for SCSM 2012.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh519608

Cheers

Graham

Regards Graham New System Center 2012 Blog! - http://www.systemcentersolutions.co.uk

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Hi Graham,

i have installed SCSM 2012 SP1 CTP2, sorry I forgot to specify this.

Someone can tell me  the group to be removed? I have find this three group:

WSS_WPG

WSS_RESTRICTED_WPG_V4

WSS_ADMIN_WPG

What is the correct one?

• Edited by Luca Fata Wednesday, July 4, 2012 4:25 PM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 2:55 PM
  • I am not sure if you guys have got the resolution for this issue or no. I have it.

The installation account requires the Domain admin permission. Based on the testing with AD team, the failure can be caused because the account making the AD query does not have permission to "Read all properties" for the users.The API collects data from the queried object from multiple locations in AD. If it is unable to read any specific data related to the queried object due to the lock down, it will fail with this error.

You can remove the domain admin permissions after the installation completed successfully.

Friday, August 24, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Still having this problem on SC2012 R2 and Server 2012.  
    Monday, September 15, 2014 5:57 PM