Win7 64 bit: Programs fail to start after a short while after boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi :)

Im having a serious issue with my Windows 7 64bit.

Immediately after Windows 7 startup, everything seem fine. I start up programs and everything works.

But a short while (~10 seconds) after startup, I cannot start any 32 bit software (Tried Google Chrome, Spotify, Steam, WinRar now. Nothing starts). The programs that I had started earlier works fine. Other software (Notepad & Internet explorer) seems to work fine. I guess these two programs are 64-bit.

If I close any of the software that I had started earlier then I cannot start them again.

I tried to right-click the programs .exe file but then the window crashes. I restart explorer.exe but then NOTHING works. I can't even open My Computer (Error message: "explorer.exe - The remote procedure call failed and did not execute").

Any help with how I can fix this?

My specs:

*Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5, Socket-AM3
    *AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
    *Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 4GB CL9
    *XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB
    *Intel X25-M SSD 80GB 2,5",
    *WD Caviar® Black 750GB, 3,5", SATA

I have tried to format my C-drive and reinstalling Windows 7 64-bit several times. The issue keeps reappearing..

Thanks in advance

gromit190

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This situation is most likely the computer is infected with the viruses so that this happens. Did you have the anti-virus software and make it up to date? Have you made a full scan on your computer? 

I suggest to use the anti-virus software to fully scan the computer.

Then you may refer to the following thread.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/8d2b1e38-003a-4d8f-b6cf-586a330d1560/

Meantime, Please also try Clean Boot.

Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, April 25, 2011 9:26 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2011 3:09 AM

All replies

• Did you find any record in the Windows logs (above all "System" and "Application") in the Event Viewer related to the problems you're actually experimenting?

You can try to run the faulting programs while keep running the software you can download from the following web address

http://technet.microsoft.com/it-it/sysinternals/bb896645

It could help you monitoring every kind of action performed in the system.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    Friday, April 8, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Hi,

This situation is most likely the computer is infected with the viruses so that this happens. Did you have the anti-virus software and make it up to date? Have you made a full scan on your computer? 

I suggest to use the anti-virus software to fully scan the computer.

Then you may refer to the following thread.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/8d2b1e38-003a-4d8f-b6cf-586a330d1560/

Meantime, Please also try Clean Boot.

Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, April 25, 2011 9:26 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2011 3:09 AM
  • For what it's worth, I am having the same problem. My PC is not quite a week old, so I don't think it's a virus (and mbam & my anti-virus haven't found anything). I have an AMD graphics card, too, so I'm wondering if it's something related to the card. I have the most recent drivers, so an update isn't going to help. Any one have any clues?
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 4:47 AM
  • Hi coyote6,

Please start a new topic , and post in detail What kind of issue you encounter.

Thanks for your understanding.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:21 AM
  • Having a similar issue. Several programs lost their association. When I goto run an application it appears with the "View and track downloads" pop up dialogue then fails to run from there.

Win7 Pro

IE9

Thursday, May 12, 2011 12:38 AM