Debugging IE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Windows Error Reporting configured to take a full minidump when a program crashes. IE crashes sometimes when I close it, so I check the dump in WinDbg to see if anything interesting is there.

Is there a way to get the url of a webpage that was opened when IE crashed without private symbols? When IE crashes I'd like to see if it's persistent and always happens on the same web page or is it random.

Friday, October 2, 2015 5:22 PM

Answers

• Is there a way to get the url of a webpage that was opened when IE crashed without private symbols?

See if you get anything better from having the Console messages enabled?  In Options, Advanced tab.  However, I imagine that a Mini dump may be too selective about what it shows and not include that detail.  Also, instead of looking in just the dump I would try checking for other possible diagnostics.  You could run ProcMon, filtering on Operation Is WriteFile to find out what else is written besides the dump at the time of the crash.  For example, I imagine an Event log entry would be one possibility.  Also, there is the possibility of adding netsh trace events to that output for extra context and perhaps even for the details that you are looking for.  Unfortunately I have not seen the netsh trace providers relevant to IE documented.  There is no scenario so far.  I would be interested in helping someone discover them though.

Actually, I just checked.  There's this.  We could try to find out what it does

PS>netsh trace show scenarios

InternetClient           : Diagnose web connectivity issues

I may have a go with that myself.  It sounds potentially useful, e.g. to supplement what we can so far only infer from the troubleshooters.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Tuesday, November 3, 2015 6:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, November 4, 2015 1:28 AM
    Sunday, October 4, 2015 2:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I am afraid you might not find any information directly pointing to specific url from a dump file. It is based on ram structure so it only can provide something about files or addresses called. Sometimes these file might lead us to somewhere. The mostly reason your Internet Explorer crashing is caused by some add-ons called by program or webpage. So for Internet Explorer crashing problem, we’d better follow the general troubleshooting steps try to find out the culprit.

How to Troubleshoot Internet Explorer Crashes

http://www.howtogeek.com/136193/how-to-troubleshoot-internet-explorer-crashes/

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

D. Wu 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 12, 2015 3:11 AM

All replies

• Is there a way to get the url of a webpage that was opened when IE crashed without private symbols?

See if you get anything better from having the Console messages enabled?  In Options, Advanced tab.  However, I imagine that a Mini dump may be too selective about what it shows and not include that detail.  Also, instead of looking in just the dump I would try checking for other possible diagnostics.  You could run ProcMon, filtering on Operation Is WriteFile to find out what else is written besides the dump at the time of the crash.  For example, I imagine an Event log entry would be one possibility.  Also, there is the possibility of adding netsh trace events to that output for extra context and perhaps even for the details that you are looking for.  Unfortunately I have not seen the netsh trace providers relevant to IE documented.  There is no scenario so far.  I would be interested in helping someone discover them though.

Actually, I just checked.  There's this.  We could try to find out what it does

PS>netsh trace show scenarios

InternetClient           : Diagnose web connectivity issues

I may have a go with that myself.  It sounds potentially useful, e.g. to supplement what we can so far only infer from the troubleshooters.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, October 4, 2015 2:26 PM
    Answerer
  • The problem is that I don't know how to reproduce it. IE just crashed when I closed it when it had some tabs open and all I have left is a dump file. I'd like to find out if it crashed on a particular tab and if so then what was the url, so I can go back there and see if the problem happens again.

Monday, October 5, 2015 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

I am afraid you might not find any information directly pointing to specific url from a dump file. It is based on ram structure so it only can provide something about files or addresses called. Sometimes these file might lead us to somewhere. The mostly reason your Internet Explorer crashing is caused by some add-ons called by program or webpage. So for Internet Explorer crashing problem, we’d better follow the general troubleshooting steps try to find out the culprit.

How to Troubleshoot Internet Explorer Crashes

http://www.howtogeek.com/136193/how-to-troubleshoot-internet-explorer-crashes/

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

D. Wu 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 12, 2015 3:11 AM