Slow XP computer shows regedit.exe using most CPU RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have Dell Dimension 9150 with four meg ram and Windows XP Pro SP3.

Sometimes my computer slows down to where it takes Word 2007 a couple of minutes to open and load a simple document or it takes a minute to go from one site to another in IE 8.0.

When it runs slow like that, i look at the CPU usage by right clicking on the task bar and going to Task Manager.  The Processes tab shows that regedit.exe is using the most CPU and its usually over 50%.

If i don't have regedit open, why would it show regedit using so much of the CPU?

It eventually goes back to normal.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tony

Stop The World, I want To Get Off!
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hello Vegan.

Thanks for your reply.

I have had Microsoft Security Essentials installed for a year now.

What is a "load to spike"?

Where is your IT sight?

What is MSE?

Thanks,
    Tony

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:51 PM
  • Vegan,

Are you asking me for a list of hardware and software installed on my computer?

If so, Why?

Thanks,
    Tony

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Hello Vegan.

I am totally disgusted with this problem.  I'd like to reopen this request.

What kind of a hardware list do you want?  Do you need model numbers and details of what is inside my system(processor, chipset, bios?).  How much detail do you need.

I want to get this problem resolved.

Thanks,
    Tony

Saturday, April 9, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Vegan,

Is this your IT site? http://www.vegan-advocate.tk/

If so, i posted a question in the General forum with a header "To Vegan from Carneno".  The CPU-Z report was more than 60000 characters and your forum would not allow more than 60000.  I posted waht i could and i am trying to post the remainder of it by answering my post, but i cannot find my post in your forums.

As soon as i see my post, i will post the remainder of the report as a reply.

Thanks,

Tony

Saturday, April 9, 2011 1:55 PM
  • OK.  Same thing.  message limit exceeded, so I will have to make two posts in the XP forum.

Thanks,

Tony

Saturday, April 9, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Vegan,

Did you ever get a chance to look at that report?

I'm still experiencing the same problem.

Thanks,
    Tony

Sunday, April 10, 2011 12:36 PM
  • Vegan,

Are you getting my replies at your site?  I replied twice and it never posted the reply and I never heard back from you.

Thanks,
    Tony

Sunday, April 10, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Starting to look like BS from Microsoft about XP.

I can't even start a NEW topic in the main Forum.

MS can KIZZmyAZZ in the hear future...as you folks have NO respect for the average person.

Sunday, April 10, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Hello Vegan.

I will not be reinstalling Windows XP on my computer.

This computer has too many source code files on it for me to take a chance of something going wrong with a backup or whatever.  It also has all of my development environments from VB 3.0 to Visual Studio 2010 on it, not to mention all of the other documents I have stored on this computer.

There is just too much at risk for me to take a chance on not being able to get my computer back to normal.  The benefit that I might realize would not be enough to offset the cost of losing all of my years of development work.

In addition, reinstalling Windows XP might not even resolve the issue I am having.  Your idea is simply a suggestion.  I see no indication from you or anybody that this will absolutely fix my problem.

Unless you or anybody else has a resolution that is less risky, I will have to deal with this issue some other way.

Thanks for all of your help.

Tony

Monday, April 11, 2011 3:30 PM
  • I dont think you understand.  I'm not going to do it, DVDs or otherwise.

Thanks,
    Tony

Monday, April 11, 2011 8:06 PM