none
After upgrade from SCCM 2012 SP1 CU3 to SCCM 2012 R2 PXE service role crashes WDS service

Question

• Hi guys

I am experience problems with my PXE service after upgrading the SCCM site from SCCM 2012 SP1 CU3 to SCCM 2012 R2.

When i try to install PXE role for my distribution point it crashes WDS Service and eventviewer log says:

Faulting application name: svchost.exe_WDSServer, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x50108897
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010acd2
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000001fb20
    Faulting process id: 0x1218
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ced49e3e45a190
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 82da6fdc-4091-11e3-9420-0800273e2687
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I've tried all standard things such as:

1. Remove Boot images from DP

2. Remove pxe role from DP and uninstall WDS

3. reboot server

4. Deleted RemoteInstall folder and deleted all content of C:\Windows\Temp

5. reboot server

6. Let SCCM console handle installation of WDS and configuration of it.

I currently have 2 environments which responds similar. Looks like a bug...

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:30 PM

Answers

• Hi!

I think, I managed to fix this issue. I tried all the above steps and still my WDS service failed to start.

I found that the error was continuously pointing to the wingapi.dll file in the sccm distrmgr.log. I saw that it was finding wingapi.dll in C:\Windows\System32. I found an wingapi.msi fil in the "wim" folder in the root of the Configuration Manager installation folder. This install a wingapi.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Imaging\ AND most importantly it adds this folder to the System Variable PATH.

With this in place i could start the WDS service in my test environment but not i my production environment. When I moved C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Imaging\ to the front of the PATH variable all started working there aswel!

I hope this can help others out there pulling their hair out.

Regards,

Holger

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:51 PM

All replies

• What happens if you run the WDSUtil command manually (see 3rd line in your logfile). I guess that it will most likely fail with the exact same return code, but it might display additional information. What's in eventlog?
    I've upgraded some environments and did not see this error.
    Have you downloaded and installed the re-released version of the 8.1 ADK?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:03 PM
  • Hi Torsten

Thanks for the reply

It actually configures my WDS service but it seems like it fails in the distmgr.log

I just tryied to download ADK8.1 again and installed it. Nothing changed. I did the steps from my first post just to ensure it didn’t fix my problem.

eventlog when i try to start the service

services.msc: when i try to start WDS. WDS start automatic if I remove the PXE role from the DP

Eventlog after trying to start WDS 

The error is the same as posted above

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:32 PM
  • Hi, MattiasMelkersen. We are aware of this issue (it doesn't occur in all environments) and are working on a solution for it.

Are you using WDS on the same system as your site server? One possible short-term workaround would be to enable WDS and PXE on a remote DP.

Check out my Configuration Manager blog at http://aka.ms/ameltzer

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Hi Adam. Are there specific circumstances in which this occurs? I've done a few in-place upgrades and in each case I've had to disable/enable PXE and uninstall/reinstall WDS - nothing this catastrophic though.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:19 PM
  • I had the exact same problem, as does alot of people according to Microsoft support.

There is a post on windows-noob http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9341-sccm-2012-r2-upgrade-broken-wdspxe/

I dont know exactly what i did but my problem autoresolved. i added 2 boot images from windows 8.1 installation media just to test if the boot image from ADK was causing the problem but no luck. this morning i added a third boot image from MDT x64 to create a bootable USB so that i would be able to install som computers as PXE was not working.

After maybe 2 hours the support Tech from microsoft wanted to take some screens of the distmgrlog when starting WDS, i saw then that the service was running and quickly tried to PXE boot a laptop i had next to me and it worked..?!? the 2 boot images from installation media have no drivers as i wanted to test if those where causing the issue. the one from MDT i added a bunch of drivers to.

i also just Before installed reporting services and restarted the server. dont Think it has anything to do with this as i had restarted the server maybe 20 times Before while i was testing to install / uninstall PXE, WDS, ADK etc etc.

all log files Point to WIMGAPI.dll it Always seems to crash when it loads both in the distmgr.log, the crash report generated (path from eventlog) and SMSPXElog, the version from OS in server 2012 r2 is 6.3.9600.16412 while adk from after okt 17 is 6.3.9600.16411. i have also tested to install ADK from Before okt 17 with no luck.

Hope it helps you in the right direction...

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:39 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I had the same issue when I installed ConfigMgr 2012 R2 on Windows 2012 Server R2. I had ADK 8.1 installed before I installed ConfigMgr 2012 R2, so during the installation of ConfigMgr, the installation automatically created the default boot images and imported them into the ConfigMgr Console.

I enabled PXE on my Distribution Point, WDS installed automatically and everything looked OK.

BUT, as soon as I deployed the default boot images (x86 & x64) to my Distribution Point, WDS started crashing and would not start.

To resolve I did the following:

1. Disabled PXE on my DP role and selected the option to remove WDS

2. Checked that WDS uninstalled and no longer present under Server Manager

3. Rebooted

4. Removed the RemoteInstall folder

4. Uninstalled ADK 8.1

5. Rebooted

6. Downloaded the latest ADK 8.1 from http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=39982

7. Re-installed ADK 8.1

8. Opened Deployment & Imaging Tools Environment command prompt

9. Ran "copype.cmd x86 c:\winpex86" & "copype.cmd amd64 c:\winpex64"

10. Imported the x64 boot.wim from c:\winpex64\media\sources to my Boot Images in ConfigMgr Console

11. Imported the x86 boot.wim from c:\winpex86\media\sources to my Boot Images in ConfigMgr Console

12. Enabled PXE on my Distribution Point. Waited for ConfigMgr to automatically install the WDS role.

13. Distributed the Boot Images (both x86 & x64) to my distribution point. Ensure you select "Deploy this boot image from the PXE-enabled distribution point" option under the Data Source tab for both boot images. Otherwise, WDS will not pick them up.

14. Deployed a Task Sequence to an applicable collection

15. PXE booted a test VM and everything worked as expected.

Hope this helps! :-)

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:29 AM
  • @Adam

I have all roles on 1 server. The customer is only 1000 clients. I can also make some bootable USB's, but i really like to solve this one.

@AussieConfigMgrGuy

Really nice guide. It solved some errors but I am still not getting it to work though. What I experience is that I can install pxe role on DP and still have WDS Service running if I remove all Boot images. (I've tried above, so running on newest ADK version.)

When creating a boot image and tick "Deploy this boot image from the PXE-enabled distribution point" WDS service crashes.

Snip from distmgr.log when i PXE-enable my bootimage

Looks like permissions... But why should upgrading to R2 change my permissions?

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:07 AM
  • Hi MattiasMelkersen,

I got the same errors in my distmgr.log when deploying my boot images to the PXE enabled DP, so not sure if this is the actual issue..

1. Did you remove the PXE role, was WDS completely uninstalled, did you reboot afterwards and did you remove the E:\RemoteInstall folder after rebooting?

2. Did you also completely uninstall ADK 8.1, reboot and re-install with the latest version?

3. Check your %windir%\temp folder. Remove the BootImages folder

4. Install ADK 8.1

5. Run copype.cmd to create the x86 and amd64 boot images. Use the boot.wim in the sources folder for each and import into ConfigMgr

6. Re-enable the PXE role and ensure WDS installs.

7. Deploy the x86 and x64 boot images to your DP.

I still can't determine the root cause for this issue. From the looks of it, lots of customers are having similar issues.

Good times :-)

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:43 AM
  • Hi AussieConfigMgrGuy

Thanks for the reply

Yes i did every step as described. I also had a colleague trying without my influence. (This happens in my test lab and in our customer production environment) We actually managed to get WDS running while Boot Images were on DP and PXE-enabled, but when we tried to PXE boot a machine we get PXE-T04 and PXE-E36 indicating that SCCM PXE is not enabled correctly.

Once again i think this is permission issues.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:14 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I had the same issue when I installed ConfigMgr 2012 R2 on Windows 2012 Server R2. I had ADK 8.1 installed before I installed ConfigMgr 2012 R2, so during the installation of ConfigMgr, the installation automatically created the default boot images and imported them into the ConfigMgr Console.

I enabled PXE on my Distribution Point, WDS installed automatically and everything looked OK.

BUT, as soon as I deployed the default boot images (x86 & x64) to my Distribution Point, WDS started crashing and would not start.

To resolve I did the following:

1. Disabled PXE on my DP role and selected the option to remove WDS

2. Checked that WDS uninstalled and no longer present under Server Manager

3. Rebooted

4. Removed the RemoteInstall folder

4. Uninstalled ADK 8.1

5. Rebooted

6. Downloaded the latest ADK 8.1 from http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=39982

7. Re-installed ADK 8.1

8. Opened Deployment & Imaging Tools Environment command prompt

9. Ran "copype.cmd x86 c:\winpex86" & "copype.cmd amd64 c:\winpex64"

10. Imported the x64 boot.wim from c:\winpex64\media\sources to my Boot Images in ConfigMgr Console

11. Imported the x86 boot.wim from c:\winpex86\media\sources to my Boot Images in ConfigMgr Console

12. Enabled PXE on my Distribution Point. Waited for ConfigMgr to automatically install the WDS role.

13. Distributed the Boot Images (both x86 & x64) to my distribution point. Ensure you select "Deploy this boot image from the PXE-enabled distribution point" option under the Data Source tab for both boot images. Otherwise, WDS will not pick them up.

14. Deployed a Task Sequence to an applicable collection

15. PXE booted a test VM and everything worked as expected.

Hope this helps! :-)

Did you download the entire WADK or just run the stub setup and let it download what it needed?  The first time I downloaded the entire WADK and ran setup (WDS wont start).  The second time was a remote location with low bandwidth so I just ran setup and let it download what it needed (works).

It's the only thing I can find that's different between the two upgrades to R2.

Thanks

• Edited by mniccum Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:17 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:41 PM
  • I just ran ADKSetup.exe and selected Deployments Tools, Windows PE  & USMT.

The files were downloaded from the Internet, so maybe they are a newer version??

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Hi!

I think, I managed to fix this issue. I tried all the above steps and still my WDS service failed to start.

I found that the error was continuously pointing to the wingapi.dll file in the sccm distrmgr.log. I saw that it was finding wingapi.dll in C:\Windows\System32. I found an wingapi.msi fil in the "wim" folder in the root of the Configuration Manager installation folder. This install a wingapi.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Imaging\ AND most importantly it adds this folder to the System Variable PATH.

With this in place i could start the WDS service in my test environment but not i my production environment. When I moved C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Imaging\ to the front of the PATH variable all started working there aswel!

Regards,

Holger

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Thanks for all help. Hoite-1974 solution worked as a charm

WDS is now running and we are back on track!

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Hi!

Regards,

Holger

Holger,

This was the solution for me as well!! So glad I stumbled upon your reply.

Thanks!

-Jake

Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Hi!

Regards,

Holger

I believe there is an issue with wingapi.dll.    This page below recommended removing the console from the server which appears to resolve the bug.

http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/117/A-Geeks-Guide-for-upgrading-to-ConfigMgr-2012-R2-and-MDT-2013.aspx

I think the path resolution is better though.

Thanks

Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Hi!

Regards,

Holger

Also I noticed my version in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Imaging\ was older than the other one.  Using where wimgapi.dll from a commandline pointed to the locations. It showed C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Imaging\ and c:\windows\system32\ but the smspxe.log loads te dll from "Loaded D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM\wimgapi.dll".
    • Edited by mniccum Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:05 PM
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:03 PM
  • The only reliable workaround we've found is to install a remote DP and enable that for PXE boot. We are working on getting a fix out as quickly as possible.

Check out my Configuration Manager blog at http://aka.ms/ameltzer

Monday, November 04, 2013 11:14 PM
  • Hi we encountered this issue when we installed the update, the wimgapi.dll and altering the PATH variable has worked as an interim solution for us too.  Do you have any ideas on a time scale for an official fix to be released?
    Thursday, November 07, 2013 10:36 AM
  • Hi, 

Here is the hotfix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2905002)

in case you don't see the link to download it can be found here: 

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=2905002&kbln=en-us

Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:04 AM
  • Hi All,

Last week i have deployed SCCM 2012 R2 On Windows 2012 with SQL 2012 ,

and have tested OSD, so many times, only faced one issue , that is slowness, OSD takes too much time.

Suddenly yesterday, OSD stops working, i cross checked WDS services is in Stopped mode and i am unable to start it, Uncheck PXE from DP role and again check after reboot doesn't works for me. So, I checked this forum , there are so many workarounds.

but i haven't tried any one, only applied hotfix. and WDS Services Started !!!! and OSD is working fine with nice speed..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2905002/en-us

Kirpal Singh

Friday, November 29, 2013 4:54 AM
  • Hi,

This is very nice help and all steps are well worked in my Lab environment.

I am using SCCM R2 and was getting error in PXE boot.

I checked and found that WDS service is not getting started and hanging.

I followed above steps and got successful deployment after following above steps.

After uninstalling windows ADK and reinstalling it, WDS service automatically installed and started.

no need to install WDS from add role wizard.

Really thanks for this post.

Regards,

Suman

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 11:28 AM
  • Hi,

It's a bit after you wrote this entry, but thanks for finding this fix! A weird one, but I was working with a brand-new install of everything- SCCM, Windows, ADK, SQL etc- on a test machine and this simple operation fixed my SCCM PXE/ WDS clash. I didn't even have to change the path, it just worked.

Cheers!

Rhidian

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:41 PM