How to change default media player in XP Pro SP3? RRS feed

• Question

• Have installed Divx mediaplayer, recently. At first got sound when played movie. Had to rt.click on sound button and select "audio track 1." Didn't get sound again on next movie. Tried same thing, but still no sound. I also have flashplayer, wmp, realplayer on computer and one of these is probably set as the default player. Some sites always require install divx to stream movie. How to check to see what player is set as my default media player. How to check to see if I have more than one sound driver (I think I only have one "PCI" something. What is difference between sound card and sound driver? Can I download additional sound drivers? Do these drivers all work using the sound card in my machine? How to identify the specs on the sound cards in my rebuilt machine? Me computer Jane, you computer NERD I hope...but patient with computer primitives....I don't even know where to look for an answer here...?
    Monday, June 8, 2009 4:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I am not an expert, but let me try to answer at least one of your questions. The easiest way to change your default player would be following:

Choose a file (any media file) and click right mouse:

Then Select – Properties  

Under properties you will see Open with and your current default player is selected and next to it a button Change. Click the button Change. Now select you desired default player (Media Player should be here for you to choose) and hit OK.

Once you hit ok your default for this type of media file (selected by you) will always open with media Player. Only thing is, you have to the above steps once for all the file type.

Hope this is helpful and answers at least one of you questions.  

Rubel Khan
    • Proposed as answer by Rubel Khan Monday, June 8, 2009 1:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:21 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2009 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am not an expert, but let me try to answer at least one of your questions. The easiest way to change your default player would be following:

Choose a file (any media file) and click right mouse:

Then Select – Properties  

Under properties you will see Open with and your current default player is selected and next to it a button Change. Click the button Change. Now select you desired default player (Media Player should be here for you to choose) and hit OK.

Once you hit ok your default for this type of media file (selected by you) will always open with media Player. Only thing is, you have to the above steps once for all the file type.

Hope this is helpful and answers at least one of you questions.  

Rubel Khan
    • Proposed as answer by Rubel Khan Monday, June 8, 2009 1:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:21 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2009 1:38 PM
  • Dear Rubel Khan,

Thank-you for your reply to my question, "How to change my default media player in XP Pro." This definitely helped.
    Oceanogal:)
    Friday, January 8, 2010 2:13 AM