Vista shutdown/hibernate problem RRS feed

• Question

•  

When I select either shutdown or hibernate, my Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista Home Premium shuts down but immediately reboots.  It will do this in a continuous loop until I hit the startup button or unplug the battery.  This is an intermittent problem which seems to be more prevelant when the computer is powered up for an extended time.  Advice?
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This is very likely a blue screen issue or stop error issue. Since Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a third-party device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

If you want, you can adjust the setting to show the blue screen with more information, when a kernel mode crash occurs:

1. Click "Start", in the Start Search box type "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Click the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Uncheck the option Automatically Restart.

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Having said that, I'd still like to provide the following general troubleshooting steps to see if we can eliminate this problem:

Note: Please perform a complete system backup first. If any unexpected issue occurs, we can quickly restore the system to the current status.

Step1

=========

Please disable the anti-virus temporary and monitor the issue. If it reoccurs, go to Step2.

Step2

=========

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

However, after you monitor the issue, if it still occurs, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for further troubleshooting. I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Friday, November 21, 2008 6:19 AM