none
IE 9, Windows 7, Windows 8, SHA-2 encryption, certificate RRS feed

• Question

• Currently, I have I have an Exchange 2010 Service with 2 client access/ transport servers and 2 mailbox servers.  I use a barracuda load balance appliance to manage the CASarray.   Our SSL certificate for the service is currently SHA-1.  I would like to replace  the SSL certificate so that it using SHA-2 encyption keys.  What compatibility issues do I need to be concerned about?  Most of our users are running Windows 7 with Outlook 2010 and/or Outlook 2007 to the Exchange 2010 service.    We also have a few Apple users running OS X and Office 2011 for the MAC.   We have a lot of ipad ii and above and iphone 4 and above users  using ios to connect to the service as well.    People  use a variety of web browsers:  firefox, chrome, internet explorer, safarii.  Most of my users are still using IE 9.x due to better compatibility with some of our SAP software.

Will my users have problems using a comodo sha-2 ssl certificate in my environment?  Specifically, will there be issues with IE9.x on Windows 7?  Any issues with Apple devices?

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In order to both sign and validate SHA2 messages, Windows Vista or 7 with Outlook 2007 or 2010 is needed, so according to your description, it's fine to move to SHA-2 in your corporation.

Please see detailed information about SHA-2 with Windows in the following blog, some recommendations for Outlook and Windows are included in this link

http://blogs.technet.com/b/pki/archive/2010/09/30/sha2-and-windows.aspx

For mac users, it's better to contact the Apple support, for they're more familiar with their products like ipad, iphone and other Apple devices.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:21 AM