none
Stuck at "Checking Driver Hashes" Upgrading to Update 2 RRS feed

• Question

• Just started an update of one of my deployment shares from MDT 2013 Update 1 to Update 2. It's stuck, for the last half hour at "Checking Driver Hashes"

I do have a fair amount of drivers, but is 30 minutes normal? At what point should I stop the upgrade?

Orange County District Attorney

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 11:37 PM

Answers

• That could be normal (depending on the speed of the server, number of drivers, etc.).  The algorithm used to calculate the uniqueness of each driver changed, requiring recalculation of every driver.  That can take a while.

All because a security review determined that SHA1 was not a good algorithm to use, so it changed to SHA256.  (Never mind the fact that the hashes were only used for uniqueness checks, not for security...)

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    Director of Product Marketing, Windows Deployment, Management, and Store
    http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Sandy Wood Thursday, June 2, 2016 2:26 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 1:08 AM

All replies

• That could be normal (depending on the speed of the server, number of drivers, etc.).  The algorithm used to calculate the uniqueness of each driver changed, requiring recalculation of every driver.  That can take a while.

All because a security review determined that SHA1 was not a good algorithm to use, so it changed to SHA256.  (Never mind the fact that the hashes were only used for uniqueness checks, not for security...)

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    Director of Product Marketing, Windows Deployment, Management, and Store
    http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Sandy Wood Thursday, June 2, 2016 2:26 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 1:08 AM
  • Thanks for the note Michael. When I came in this morning the upgrade was showing successful! I had run the upgrade from a new Win 10 workstation and did the upgrade over the network. Looks good!

BTW, I'm running ADK 10.1 on my Win 10 workstation. Should I upgrade the server with my Deployment Shares to 10.1 as well or leave them at 10.0?

Orange County District Attorney

Thursday, June 2, 2016 2:26 PM