Project 2007: Copy tasks/assignments/resourses between projects using PSI RRS feed

• Question

• Hi at all,

i should develop a custom app that copy a part of a project (some tasks with own assignments and resources) from Project A to Project B.

In order to do this, i read and write from a Dataset of Project A to Dataset of Project B.

Some information go ok, but, for example, i don't find some other info like task's baseline5 value.

In you opinion, is this possible to get ALL info from task from Project A and insert this in Project B?

Or do you know if is it possible to accomplish my mission in other way?

Thank you in advantage,

Best regards,

Paolo

Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Paolo,

If you want that level of detail you will probably need to be working on the client and using the object model.  What is your end goal?

Best regards,

Brian

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:25 PM
  • Hi Brian,

I apologize for the delay of this answer.

Our end goal is provide a set of "little project" that some amnistrators work on in order to pre-alloc some macro part of a big and heavy project.

In detail, with PSI custom app, we create these "little project", a sort of proposal or activity plan, using a template. On these my custom app insert in project team some resource with related work and so on.

After this create step, an administrator work on these plans to create or change assignment, change work values and so on.

Another custom app create a new "big project" by template and "append" all these "little projects" at the end of template automatically via PSI.

So my question was related to get informations at different levels from a project A (little project) for appending these into a project B (big project)

I realized that some informations can't bring by PSI, so, we had change a little bit the general approch. some informations, like task_note or baseline informations, that administator save on "little project" dead on this project and can't pass in a new "big project"

We can't use masterprojects because, using PSI custom app, we can't create these type of project. Is it correct?

I hope it's clear to you what our "sick minds" have given birth :)

Thank you for your support,

Cheers

Paolo O.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Interesting Paolo, and you are correct that the PSI cannot handle master projects.  You might be able to use some of the methods of the ProjectDataSet class, such as Merge, at the DataTable level although I haven't tried this.  Overcoming duplicate UIDs and still keeping the right relationships between tasks, assignments and resources will be the challenge whichever method you use.  I'll see if I can find some other suggestions for you.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:07 PM
  • Hi Brian, thank you for your answer. In your opinion, can be helpful using ResourcePlan to "move" resources from "light project" to "heavy project"? In the little projects we must insert some generic resources and some named resource form enterprise resource pool, but we don't know on witch task's assignment create. We have only a work values. In your opinion, if we create resource plan for each "light project", is it possible to move these on heavy project? As usually, thank you for your support Cheers Paolo O.
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:31 AM
  • You can use the QueueUpgradeProject to turn a "light" project into a "Heavy" project.  Project.CreateOperationsWorkFromWssList might be another method worth looking at if having your initial template as a WSS list would work ("superlight").
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:37 PM