Change User-account order on login screen RRS feed

• Question

• How can I change Useraccount order on login screen in windows 7? 
    Any help (preferably without messing around with stuff like registry keys)?

thanks in advance!
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems no option for that. Even gpedit.msc only provide the option to change " Apply the default user logon picture to all users" under Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, and User Accounts.

Logon screen shows the user accounts in alphabetical order based on the names first given to the account when it is created. If you change the user account name later, it does no longer change the order accounts are presented. Reason is simple: even if you change the user account name later, the user account folder keeps the original name. Renaming the user subfolders in C:\Users does not change the situation.

What all this means is that you have to think the logon screen account order already when creating accounts.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems no option for that. Even gpedit.msc only provide the option to change " Apply the default user logon picture to all users" under Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, and User Accounts.

Logon screen shows the user accounts in alphabetical order based on the names first given to the account when it is created. If you change the user account name later, it does no longer change the order accounts are presented. Reason is simple: even if you change the user account name later, the user account folder keeps the original name. Renaming the user subfolders in C:\Users does not change the situation.

What all this means is that you have to think the logon screen account order already when creating accounts.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:59 AM
  • Why you want to change the useraccount order on login screen? You should tell us more information so as to help you efficiently. By default, the user accounts display on the login screen sorting by name from left to right. If you want to move your user account to the first place, you can rename your account name with A character in the first.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Friday, February 26, 2010 7:05 AM
  • For me, the reason to change the useraccount order on login screen was to have most used account listed first. So I can login simply by pressing Enter + password (so I don't need to select account with arrows/mouse)
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 7:52 PM
  • This must be somewhat common.  Say I have an account for myself named "Tim" and later I want to add some additional accounts for another person (e.g., "Girlie") or even an account for only using Media Center (e.g., "Media Center").  I'd still want a way to defaut the focus to the last account used or a default account, if I couldn't choose a specific order.

Yeah, I could probably recreate the Media Center account with a login name later in the alphabet, so it shows up next to the Guest account (which is already "correctly" on the end).  It wouldn't solve the other account issue, because I shouldn't have to hack account names to get the desired behavior.

Maybe half the people that are primary users on a multi-account computer don't care becuase their names start in the first half of the alphabet...

Friday, September 17, 2010 8:43 PM
  • If you ask for more information, then you should at least reply when someone posts it for you... 
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Same problem for me, but found solution:

Just rename account name (not displayed name). example rename with "-" before name to place it in first place.

To rename account use computer/manage/users and groups

Windows7 64bits, AVAST5, routeur wrt54 Upnp

Thursday, November 28, 2013 7:34 PM
  • Simple, change the user name (NOT the display name).

I had [Admin] [UserA] [UserB], I wanted [UserA] to be able to login just by pressing [Enter] key, so changed the user name of Admin to xAdministrator, now the login display reads [UserA] [UserB] [Admin], note, [Admin] is the displayed name of the Administrator account.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:13 PM
  • Windows 10

I want to change it to be fixed. Having it change all the time is the most annoying thing ever. One day your name is at the top and then next it is half-way down. I think this is one of those classic "sounds like a good idea" to sort by most used, but it is incredibly annoying. We have five users and if they were always in the same order it would be easy to quickly login, but with it changing constantly it is frustrating.

Sunday, February 4, 2018 3:02 PM