none
An unexpected error occurred during the installation. ID: 4387. DPM2012 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to perform a brand new installation of DPM 2012 SP1 onto a new server (which will become our secondary DPM server) but I am running into problems with the installation.  The first time I ran it, the setup had problems setting the values on a number of registry keys - I didn't get the exact error at the time and just decided to abort the install.

Thinking it would be a good idea to fully patch the server, I've tried to run the install again and now can't even start it, getting the error "A unexpected error occurred during the insatllation".

Looking in the DPM setup log I can see the following:

Information : Check attributes of the directory
    [31/01/2013 19:45:04] Data : Folder Path = C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\DPMDB
    [31/01/2013 19:45:04] * Exception : Ignoring the following exception intentionally => System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\DPMDB'.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.File.GetAttributes(String path)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.InstallLocationValidation.CheckForDirectoryAttributes(String path)
    [31/01/2013 19:45:04] Information : Query free disk space
    [31/01/2013 19:45:04] Data : Folder Path = C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\DPMDB
    [31/01/2013 19:45:04] Data : Free Space = 446284
    [31/01/2013 19:45:04] Information : Caught Exception DatabaseInfoRegKey RegKey shouldn't be null, set DPM DB name to default value
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Information : Check if the media is removable
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Data : Folder Path = C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Data : Drive Name = C:\
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Data : Drive Type = 3
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Information : Check attributes of the directory
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Data : Folder Path = C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Data : File Attributes = Directory
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Information : Check if the media is removable
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Data : Folder Path = C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\DPMDB
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Data : Drive Name = C:\
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Data : Drive Type = 3
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Information : Check attributes of the directory
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Data : Folder Path = C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\DPMDB
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] * Exception : Ignoring the following exception intentionally => System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\DPMDB'.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.File.GetAttributes(String path)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.InstallLocationValidation.CheckForDirectoryAttributes(String path)
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Information : Caught Exception DatabaseInfoRegKey RegKey shouldn't be null, set DPM DB name to default value
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Information : Check the filesystem on which DPM and prerequisites are installed
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Information : C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Information : C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\DPMDB
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Information : 
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Information : 
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Information : c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS11.MSDPM2012\Reporting Services\ReportServer\
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] Information : C:\Windows\system32
    [31/01/2013 19:45:06] *** Error : Application_ThreadException

Server OS is Windows Server 2012. SQL version is also 2012.

Does anybody know what is going wrong and how I can fix it?

• Edited by adamf83 Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:52 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:51 PM

Answers

• No database there... I managed to fix it in the end by installing a SQL 2008 R2 instance.  Something about SQL 2012 it didn't like, although what I don't know.
    • Marked as answer by adamf83 Saturday, February 2, 2013 5:37 PM
    Saturday, February 2, 2013 5:37 PM

All replies

• I managed to fix this error by uninstalling the SQL 2008 R2 components that get installed as part of the DPM setup.  After a restart I've re-run the DPM setup but I keep running into error ID: 811 - The DPM database was not created.  I've got this from the setup log:

[01/02/2013 22:04:33] * Exception :  => The DPM database was not created.Use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel to remove the DPM files and registry entries that were created during Setup. Verify that SQL Server is properly installed and that it is running, and then run Setup again.Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Exceptions.BackEndErrorException: exception ---> Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Exceptions.DatabaseConfigurationException: exception ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Directory lookup for the file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\DPMDB\MSDPM2012$DPMDB.mdf" failed with the operating system error 5(Access is denied.).
    CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.DB.SqlRetryCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Configuration.DBConfigurator.CreateDB(String databaseLocation, Boolean upgrading, Boolean isRemoteDb)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Configuration.DBConfigurator.CreateDB(String databaseLocation, Boolean upgrading, Boolean isRemoteDb)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.Configurator.ConfigureDB(Boolean upgrading, Boolean isRemoteDb)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.BackEnd.Configure(Boolean existingDB, Boolean upgrading, String databaseLocation, String sqlServerMachineName, String instanceName, Boolean oemSetup)
    *** Mojito error was: DatabaseCreateFailed; 0; None
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.BackEnd.Configure(Boolean existingDB, Boolean upgrading, String databaseLocation, String sqlServerMachineName, String instanceName, Boolean oemSetup)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.DpmInstaller.Configure()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.InstallDpm()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.InstallerThreadEntry()
    [01/02/2013 22:04:33] *** Error : The DPM database was not created.

Use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel to remove the DPM files and registry entries that were created during Setup. Verify that SQL Server is properly installed and that it is running, and then run Setup again.

ID: 811
    [01/02/2013 22:04:33] Information : Data Protection Manager installation has failed. To return the server to its original state, you must uninstall Data Protection Manager by using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. This will remove all files and components copied during installation.
    For details, click the Error tab.

Anyone have any ideas why this isn't working?

Friday, February 1, 2013 10:25 PM
  • I managed to fix this error by uninstalling the SQL 2008 R2 components that get installed as part of the DPM setup.  After a restart I've re-run the DPM setup but I keep running into error ID: 811 - The DPM database was not created.  I've got this from the setup log:

[01/02/2013 22:04:33] * Exception :  => The DPM database was not created.Use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel to remove the DPM files and registry entries that were created during Setup. Verify that SQL Server is properly installed and that it is running, and then run Setup again.Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Exceptions.BackEndErrorException: exception ---> Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Exceptions.DatabaseConfigurationException: exception ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Directory lookup for the file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\DPMDB\MSDPM2012$DPMDB.mdf" failed with the operating system error 5(Access is denied.).
    CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.DB.SqlRetryCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.Configurator.ConfigureDB(Boolean upgrading, Boolean isRemoteDb)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.DpmInstaller.Configure()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.InstallDpm()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.InstallerThreadEntry()
    [01/02/2013 22:04:33] *** Error : The DPM database was not created.

Use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel to remove the DPM files and registry entries that were created during Setup. Verify that SQL Server is properly installed and that it is running, and then run Setup again.

ID: 811
    [01/02/2013 22:04:33] Information : Data Protection Manager installation has failed. To return the server to its original state, you must uninstall Data Protection Manager by using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. This will remove all files and components copied during installation.
    For details, click the Error tab.

Anyone have any ideas why this isn't working?

Try going to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50."DPMDATABASENAME"\MSSQL\DATA and deleting the DPM database as it cant overwrite the database if it has already created it, you have to do it manually.

As this has got me a few times when i am reinstalling DPM

where "DPMDATABASENAME" is name of your DPM database

Saturday, February 2, 2013 4:04 PM
  • No database there... I managed to fix it in the end by installing a SQL 2008 R2 instance.  Something about SQL 2012 it didn't like, although what I don't know.
    • Marked as answer by adamf83 Saturday, February 2, 2013 5:37 PM
    Saturday, February 2, 2013 5:37 PM