none
Incremental Backups Not Working - DPM 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Having a strange issue where incremental backups in some situations are not working, however the daily full backup is succeeding.

This doesn't seem to be a SQL instance issue, in that within the same protection group, on the same sql instance, the incremental backups are working on other databases.

All of the databases are set to full recovery model, and I'm not seeing any failed jobs (although when I check the jobs, the only scheduled job is the full backup, none for the incremental backups are listed (which isn't the case for the databases that are incrementally backing up).

What am I doing wrong?

Thursday, April 2, 2015 3:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If not already attempted please stop protection of the problem SQL database. Select to retain the data. Once protection is stopped and data is retained add the problem SQL database back to protection see of the behavior changes.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Dwayne Jackson II. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."

• Marked as answer by SiPurdy Friday, April 3, 2015 3:33 PM
    Friday, April 3, 2015 3:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I recommend the following to start troubleshooting for one of the problem databases that incremental backups seem to not take place on. Carry out the below.

1. From DPM console select the protection tab navigate to one of the problem SQL DBs.
    2. Select Recovery Point from the top ribbon.
    3. Within the Create recovery point Window if you identify that the second radio button (figure 1 is greyed out) DPM thinks the SQL DB in question is in a recovery model of simple.
    4. Ensure the SQLDBs in question are set to a recovery model of Full or Bulk-logged.
    5. Select the protection tab navigate to Protection Group with the problem SQLDB select Modify Protection Group. From the select group member’s page select the Server in question and then select Refresh button step through the rest of the wizard and select update group at the end.

Note if you do not see the refresh button just walk thought the rest of the modify protection group wizard and select update group at the end.

Figure 1:

Figure 2:

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Dwayne Jackson II. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Thursday, April 2, 2015 6:45 PM
  • Thanks for the help.

Was running a slightly older rollup of 2012 R2, so the Refresh button on Fig 2 was labelled as Clear Cache.

Have upgraded to rollup 5, however the same issue persists. Both databases are set up (as far as I could see in SQL Management Studio) the same, yet one's doing the incremental updates, and the other isn't.

Friday, April 3, 2015 8:05 AM
  • Hi,

If not already attempted please stop protection of the problem SQL database. Select to retain the data. Once protection is stopped and data is retained add the problem SQL database back to protection see of the behavior changes.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Dwayne Jackson II. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."

• Marked as answer by SiPurdy Friday, April 3, 2015 3:33 PM
    Friday, April 3, 2015 3:26 PM
  • I think that's sorted, it. Thanks for the help.

Is this a bug, or an undocumented feature?

Friday, April 3, 2015 3:33 PM
  • Glad to assist

I have seen at times where the SQL Database recovery model was original is set to simple(DPM will not run incremental backups against a DB in the simple recovery model). Once the SQLDBs recovery model is changed to Full or Bulk-Logged the actions we took have to be carried out in order for DPM to obtain the latest information for the data source.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click“Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards,Dwayne Jackson II. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."

Friday, April 3, 2015 4:54 PM
  • Hi,

Having the same, issue, option for Incremental is greyed out.

Database is in Full Recovery mode.

I have already changed to simple and back to full.

Stopped protection of SQL database, then added back in, still no joy.

Causing quite a few issues as it's happening for a number of Databases.

Cheers,

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 4:02 PM