Upgrade Windows 10 Enterprise E3 1607 to 1703 RRS feed

• Question

• We have several computers that were running Windows 10 Pro, we upgraded them to Enterprise using E3 (CSP) licences.

Now we have issues upgrading from version 1607 to 1703, the updated is downloaded through Windows update, first it says configuring update until 100%, then it reboots and tries to install the update, but it fails and the update is rolled back this happes over and over again.

Can someone please tell me what's the proper way to update to version 1703? It's very annoying cause to our users because everytime it tries to install the updates it takes about an hour before they can user their computer again.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 1:16 PM

Answers

• I managed to update 3 computers now by using the Media Creation Tool, I created an USB stick and ran the update it installed without any problems. 1 of the computers asked me to re-enter the product key so I entered a Windows 10 Pro key and I got the update to install.

Still wondering why the computers download the update for Enterprise which fails to install, somehow it seems they need the update for Pro instead of Enterprise.

I think MS needs to look into this so we don't run into this problem everytime there is a new Windows 10 release.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:59 PM

All replies

• First try this, and see the informations and what can be your target editions:

Powershell:

Dism /Online /Get-CurrentEdition

Dism /Online /Get-TargetEditions

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 3:14 PM
  • I ran the commands, as you can see it shows Professional as current edition, but when I go to system it shows Enterprise. When I go to activation it also shows Enterprise and activated using a digital license.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Dism /Online /Get-CurrentEdition

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

Er is geprobeerd toegang te verkrijgen tot een socket op een volgens de toegangsmachtigingen niet toegestane manier.

Current Edition : Professional

The operation completed successfully.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Dism /Online /Get-TargetEditions

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

Editions that can be upgraded to:

Een blokkeerbewerking is onderbroken door een aanroep naar WSACancelBlockingCall.
     : Education

The operation completed successfully.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:45 PM
  • Hi VinnieL,

According to your description, you use E3 (CSP) licenses to upgrade Windows 10 Pro to Enterprise. If the update is rolled back when you update to Windows 10 1703, it could be related to your image. You could try to download Windows 10 1703 Enterprise ISO from Volume License or CSP website. Then you could try to install it manually.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 2:32 AM
  • Hi VinnieL,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 11, 2017 10:19 AM
  • I downloaded the Windows Enterprise ISO from the Volume License website, I tried doing an upgrade with this ISO but the installation rolled back again.

Now it gave the error 0x80070490 - 0x2000A

Installation failed in the SAFE_OS fase with an error during the PEPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation

Is there a way to temporarily remove the Windows 10 Enterprise key to revert it back to Pro, then do the upgrade and assign the Enterprise license again? The computers which we didn't upgrade to Enterprise have no problem installing the update.

This is very annoying :(

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:59 PM
  • I managed to update 3 computers now by using the Media Creation Tool, I created an USB stick and ran the update it installed without any problems. 1 of the computers asked me to re-enter the product key so I entered a Windows 10 Pro key and I got the update to install.

Still wondering why the computers download the update for Enterprise which fails to install, somehow it seems they need the update for Pro instead of Enterprise.

I think MS needs to look into this so we don't run into this problem everytime there is a new Windows 10 release.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:59 PM
  • Hi VinnieL,

Thank you for your update and suggestion.

You could try the built-in "Feedback" tool to submit the issue on your side.

Also I will forward this information to the appropriate department through our internal channel. Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases.

Best regards,

Carl

Friday, August 18, 2017 9:57 AM
  • Running into the same issue again with the fall creators update......

Again making an USB stick through the Media Creation Tool seems to be the only working solution.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 7:49 PM