none
Move Protection Group from One DPM server to another DPM server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Mike,

Can we move Protection Group from one DPM 2012 SP1 to another DPM 2012 R2 version? If yes then what is the steps to perform that. Also i am running DPM servers with co-located and non-colocated configuration. What would be best as per best practice? Because my 95% backup are SQL backups.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 11:16 AM

All replies

• Hi

i am not sure waht you want to Archive.

if you want to move your DPM Configuration to a new Server, you can backup your SQL DB, move your Storage to new Server and recover your SQL DB.

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 5:50 PM
  • Hi,

I want to move 50% of the protection group from one DPM to another DPM. Pls guide how to do that. Including all existing replica should be move on new DPM.

Friday, October 31, 2014 11:55 AM
  • Hi,

There are no provisions in DPM to move protection groups or protected data sources to a new DPM server and maintain the recovery points.  The best you can do is to stop protection on DPM1 and retain the replica, then run the setdpmserver.exe on the protected server and point it the DPM2 server. On DPM2, run the attach-productionserver.ps1 script to establish agent communications, then make new protection groups and re-protect the same data sources.  After the retention goals are met, delete the replica from under inactive protection group on DPM1.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:21 AM