none
SharePoint 2013 with .NET Framework 4.5.2 RRS feed

• Question

• We have already installed SharePoint foundation 2013 and all our projects has Target Framework as 4.5. Our customer wanted us to upgrade .NET Framework 4.5.2. So, I did the following to achieve upgrade

1) Download and Installed .NET Framework 4.5.2 Developer Pack from https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=42637

2) After installing above developer pack, the following has listed under "Programs and Features" in Control Panel

• Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 Multi-Targeting Pack
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 Muliti-Targeting Pack (ENU)

3) Open Visual Studio 2013 and right click the project properties and found that .NET Framework 4.5.2 has listed under "Target Framework" dropdown for all the projects except SharePoint Projects.

4) For SharePoint Projects, .NET Framework 4.5.2 has not listed under "Target Framework" dropdown, instead it displays only .NET Framework 4.5

I just want to know why sharepoint project has not listed .NET Fralework 4.5.2 when other projects has this option.

PS: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3087184 - I understand through this URL, sharepoint foundation 2013 will support .NET Framework 4.6 and .NET framework must be install on top of sharepoint 2013. Like the way, I ran .NET framework 4.5.2 on top of sharepoint foundation 2013.

Could anyone help me on this?

• Edited by orionkings Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:51 AM typo
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:50 AM

Answers

• As of January 12th 2016, 4.5 and 4.5.1 are no longer supported:

https://support.microsoft.com/nb-no/gp/framework_faq/en-us

So we are most likely already running v4.5.2 in SharePoint 2013. Given that only 4.5.2 is supported, it should really work to select it in Visual Studio too.

Tore Olav Kristiansen

Thursday, March 3, 2016 2:52 PM

All replies

• Verify you're up-to-date with Visual Studio 2013 Updates and Extensions. Looking at my VS 2013 instance, I still see SharePoint Solutions under .NET 4.5.2 and .NET 4.6.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 3:56 PM
  • I'm able to select .NET Framework 4.5.2 when I'm creating new project in Visual Studio 2013 for SharePoint solutions. But, I'm not able to see .NET Framework 4.5.2 when I open Project Properties for existing projects in my Visual Studio 2013 Solution.

In b\w, How do I make sure my Visual Studio 2013 has updated with latest Updates and Extensions? Please assist me on this.

• Edited by orionkings Friday, February 19, 2016 5:29 AM typo
    Friday, February 19, 2016 5:20 AM
  • Any solutions for this? I am also having the same problem in VS 2015. I can start a SharePoint 2013 project targeting anything over 4.5 but 4.5 is the only value listed in the actual project properties.
    • Edited by emaz1ng92 Monday, February 22, 2016 7:16 PM
    Monday, February 22, 2016 7:16 PM
  • I have the same problem. I have Update 5 of Visual Studio 2013 with latest version of all extension. I have the same problem in VS2015.

If I change directly in the csproj text files from v4.5 to v4.5.2, the projects load in VS, deploy to SP and run fine. When I go to project properties, the Target framework dropdown has an empty item selected though.

If I remove {C1CDDADD-2546-481F-9697-4EA41081F2FC} from the "ProjectTypeGuids" in a csproj text file, I am able to select 4.5.2 as target framework in VS, but then it is no longer a SharePoint project.

If 4.5.2 is supported for custom SharePoint 2013 solutions, this looks like a bug in Visual Studio. I have opened a support request with Microsoft to get this looked at.

Tore Olav Kristiansen

Thursday, March 3, 2016 11:54 AM
  • Thanks Tore.

Are you able to deploy SP and run after you removed {C1CDDADD-2546-481F-9697-4EA41081F2FC} "ProjectTypeGuids" in csproj text files? If you don't face any issue, I'll do the same in my solution. I have more than 10+ Sharepoint projects under my solution.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:29 PM
  • You're welcome. No, if you remove that, it is no longer considered a SP project and deploy option in VS is missing. It does however work if you change from v4.5 to v4.5.2 for TargetFrameworkVersion.

I will update this thread with the answer from Microsoft. I am in contact with them now.

Tore Olav Kristiansen

Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:38 PM
  • As of January 12th 2016, 4.5 and 4.5.1 are no longer supported:

https://support.microsoft.com/nb-no/gp/framework_faq/en-us

So we are most likely already running v4.5.2 in SharePoint 2013. Given that only 4.5.2 is supported, it should really work to select it in Visual Studio too.

Tore Olav Kristiansen

Thursday, March 3, 2016 2:52 PM
  • We asked Microsoft in the support ticket to say if it is supported to change .net version directly in the project file using a text editor pending the fix in the IDE. They replied as follows:

"You can go ahead and change the target framework of the solution. There is no documentation to say that this is not supported, thus, the only logical conclusion is that it must be supported. But, as it is not possible for Microsoft to test each and every scenario, there may or may not be issues when you deploy this code. If we encounter any issues, we will have to address them via separate support tickets."

The support ticket is still open. I will update this thread when I get a decision from Microsoft on getting this fixed in VS 2013 and 2015.

Tore Olav Kristiansen

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 9:21 AM
  • Thanks for your updates Tore. It's helping me to project the situation to my management.

• Edited by orionkings Monday, March 14, 2016 6:59 AM typo
    Monday, March 14, 2016 6:59 AM
  • You're welcome. I haven't heard anything from Microsoft regarding a fix to Visual Studio yet. After rigorous testing we deployed to our customers using the workaround. We have not encountered any problems.

Tore Olav Kristiansen

Sunday, April 10, 2016 1:30 PM
  • I received the conclusion from Microsoft today: "Microsoft doesn’t make their SharePoint templates forward compatible. So the current workaround will be the only way you can change the .NET framework of the current project. I will now proceed with the  closure of this case."

Tore Olav Kristiansen

• Proposed as answer by Allani, Bechir Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:56 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Allani, Bechir Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:56 AM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 4:22 PM
  • I'm using VS 2015 and I get the same issue, the solution for this issue, is to install "Microsoft Office Developer Tools Update 2 for Visual Studio 2015" and I get .NET Framework 4.6 under the Target framework list.

To install the "MS Office Developer Tools Update 2" in VS go under Tools -> Extensions and Updates... -> Updates -> Product Updates, choose "MS Office Developer Tools Update 2" and than click Update.

This should fix your problem in VS 2015

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 11:07 AM