Lost Windows Event Viewer & Task Scheduler after Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Using Win 7 Home Premium, clean install upgrade from Vista a year ago.

After installing 21 updates on Patch Tuesday, I rebooted computer but only got an hour glass delay. After approx three hours and still no reboot, I forced a shut down and restart. After Win loaded instead of an expected "Windows is Configuring the Updates" I saw several lines of what appeared to be registry entries scrolling. When that completed and reboot completed, Windows Update confirmed that all updates were sucessful.

Then I found the Event Viewer snap-in could not be initialized. Same for Task Scheduler. I ran SFC/Scannow with nothing found and elected to do a System Restore.  After restoring I noticed there were 17 Updates available this time, not 21.  Comparing what was missing were the Security Updates for NET Framework 3.5.1 (KB2518869), NET Framework 3.5.1 (KB2478862), NET Framework 4 (KB2518870), and Windows Defender definitions.

Reviewed other TecNet entries, I believe the NET Framework files are probably corrupted and causing MMC failures.  Clicking on Start and entering MMC, under File, Add/Remove Snap-in's I only see Console Root in the Selected Snap-in's column.  Also, looked at Windows Services and confirmed Windows Event log is started (automatic) and Windows Event Collector is Manual.

How do I go about fixing NET Framework issues when SFC /Scannow says all is well.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 1:31 PM

Answers

• This morning Windows Update re-offered me the three security updates for .NET Framework 3.5.1 and 4.0 as noted in my original problem description above.

After reinstallation and configuration, the computer is again operating normally. Event Viewer and Task Scheduler are now functional with no apparent loss of data.  Lots of .NET Framework run time errors in the Event Viewer, probably due to a bad initial install.

• Marked as answer by Bart9 Monday, June 20, 2011 7:32 PM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 7:32 PM

All replies

• What exactly are your NET framework issues?   Perhaps you should do another System Restore to an earlier time.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Already tried a System Restore to an earlier date but it failed.  No earlier dates available.

While troubleshooting, I unchecked the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 box under "Turn Window Features On or Off" on the Programs & Features page of Control Panel. I then rebooted and when windows loaded it attempted to begin configuration of updates.  However after achieving 100% another window opened to indicate the configuration failed. Presumably these were the updates which stalled previously (see above). I manually downloaded  the .Net Framework security update, KB2478862, and reinstalled sucessfully, however still cannot access Event Viewer or Task Scheduler.  And with that update installed, the computer seems to run much slower and is unstable.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:22 PM
  • If it were me, I'd do a clean install of Windows 7.  It sounds like this particular system is quite 'messed up', and in the long run you'll probably save yourself time by re-building it.

TIP: To easily 're-format' a pc, use Windows Easy Transfer to an external drive.  Put on a fresh install of 7, get it all updated, install the applications, and run then WET to transfer all documents and settings back on. Very easy and incredibly effective.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Not my solution - not yet.

Now, having unchecked the MS .Net Framework 3.5.1 box in "Turn Windows Features On or Off," I find I can only recheck/activate the Win Communications Foundation for HTTP Activation, but cannot check the box for non-HTTP activation or I get an error.  Also ran another SFC/scannow check with no violations.

Any logs I can upload without use of event viewer?  (The Win mini dump log file is empty).

Thursday, June 16, 2011 11:34 PM
  • This morning Windows Update re-offered me the three security updates for .NET Framework 3.5.1 and 4.0 as noted in my original problem description above.

After reinstallation and configuration, the computer is again operating normally. Event Viewer and Task Scheduler are now functional with no apparent loss of data.  Lots of .NET Framework run time errors in the Event Viewer, probably due to a bad initial install.

• Marked as answer by Bart9 Monday, June 20, 2011 7:32 PM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 7:32 PM
  • Glad to hear you're back up and running.  I would un-install all the .NET 4 and re-install it, to see if your errors go away.  Good luck!
    Monday, June 20, 2011 8:03 PM