none
Can I have a resource created who is sometimes OPEX, sometimes CAPEX? Or do I need two resources? RRS feed

• Question

• As per the title really...

I am using Project Online 2013 and have all my resources created. The majority of these are easily defined as either OPEX or CAPX, however my work resources are people who can charge to either cost type depending on the project type and phase (most of the project is CAPX but some of our warranty work costs are OPEX for example).

For the purpose of a forecast report I've made I need a split of cost type, but would rather not have to double up each work resource so there is an option for OPEX and CAPX.

Is this possible?

Thursday, February 12, 2015 12:35 AM

Answers

• FYI - answer for this was that I should have been using the Assignment Usage type for my template - that brings in Task info (like cost type) and resource assigned.
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:47 AM

All replies

• The resource will be one or the other. Most organization create a custom enterprise field for TASK that is set OPEX/CAPX. 

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, February 12, 2015 2:31 AM
  • I agree with Michael, CAPEX and OPEX data belongs to the task rather than the Resource. You can default the value to CAPEX to reduce data entry work.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, February 12, 2015 3:22 AM
  • The problem I have with this is my report...

I've created a visual report template with the data type of Resource Usage (as our finace guys like to know who is doing what hours that have translated into a cost in their financial forecast). If I create a task column for Opex/Capx I can't bring this info in to the report. And if I create a template which is data type Task Usage, then I can't bring in who the resource is.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 3:33 AM
  • FYI - answer for this was that I should have been using the Assignment Usage type for my template - that brings in Task info (like cost type) and resource assigned.
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:47 AM