Win 7 RC Performance Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have been having problems where I am using the PC with Win 7 RC in any application when the system just stops and goes into a dump file mode. Then it may or may not recover but will give a problem window where it can search for a solution. In general it lists "Blue Screen" problem but references two files relating to "dump files". Also at times I have a problem with IE 8 closing because of a problem. I am running Win 7 in 32 bit mode.

My PC consists of: Intel Core 2 Duo E4500, ECS G31T-M motherboard, 2GB RAM, IDE 20GB HDD w/SATA adapter. (a small hard drive mostly for the OS and applications, I keep all of my data on a server)

Anyone have any idea of what is going on? I really like the new Win 7 and thinking of placing an order for the final version. I am pondering this problem I have run into before I place the order.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 11:54 PM

Answers

• Based off of the .dmp file, the Avira program is suspect. I don't know what their stance on 7 compatibility is or was.  If you aren't experiencing that problem any more, then perhaps it would not be beneficial to introduce further changes to the system.
    • Marked as answer by CableMail Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:32 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:24 PM

All replies

• Hi CableMail,

Can you check the c:\windows\minidump folder for .dmp files?  Do the timestamps on the file correspond to recent occurrences of problems?  It's not clear that all of your problems are from bugchecks (BSODs/blue screens), but it sounds like at least some of what you are reporting is.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 1:35 AM
  • I had checked the folder and there are files in it but Windows won't let me open them. Windows says it can't open files, use inet to find program to use.

The following info is what I copied from the recovery on the last two times this morning:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 1a
    BCP1: 00041790
    BCP2: C040207C
    BCP3: 0000FFFF
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7100
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1
    Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\072509-25755-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-270692-0.sysdata.xml

CHECK FOR SOLUTION = nothing

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: a
    BCP1: 00000083
    BCP2: 00000002
    BCP3: 00000001
    BCP4: 82C7F3AF
    OS Version: 6_1_7100
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1
    Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\072509-24414-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-96455-0.sysdata.xml

CHECK FOR SOLUTION = nothing

I hope this helps to find the problem. I am getting a bit upset and may just stick it out with my XP for a while yet.

Thanks for helping.

Saturday, July 25, 2009 4:02 PM
  • BCCode: 1a
    That doesn't sound good...
    "The MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bug check has a value of 0x0000001A. This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred."

Can you ZIP C:\Windows\Minidump\072509-25755-01.dmp, password protect it, upload the ZIP file somewhere, and publicly or privately share the location of the file, and privately share the password with those you would have inspect the contents? (My email address is in my profile.)

Saturday, July 25, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Eh! I am fairly experienced in working with, operating and building simple (not gaming) computers. But, I am not that advanced in techincal language, so in laymans term, what do you mean "ZIP" the file? I can copy and/or email that file if you want. I don't really have anything to hide since I am only expermenting with Win 7 and all the data is saved on my server. Since I couldn't read that file, do you have a way to get into it? From your message it seems as though their may be a memory or bad mem module problem?
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 5:36 PM
  • By ZIP, I meant to use a compression program such as WinRAR that supports encryption / password-protection, to store and protect the file.  Dump files and other kinds of diagnostic files can contain information such as the contents of a program's memory, filepaths that could disclose various information, etc.  So the suggestion to minimize exposure is to encrypt the files before transmission. If you're comfortable not doing so, you can just attach the .dmp file to an email message if you wish.

The file can be inspected using a debugger such as the ones in the Debugging Tools for Windows package. 
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 6:02 PM
  • I am having all sorts of problems in trying to either copy then paste or zip the file.  When trying to zip it, system says the file is in use - close the program that is acessing it. When trying to copy and paste it to an email, I click the copy button, then paste is not available in the email. I have not given up in sending that file, but what would you suggest next?
    • Edited by CableMail Monday, July 27, 2009 4:36 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 3:33 AM
  • Hi..

I am also experience quiet similar to this, but I dont get thrown to a dump, My pc get stuck...  Any ideas??
    Monday, July 27, 2009 4:04 AM
  • Hmm... Try to figure out what's using the .dmp file, I suppose.  Please download Process Explorer and extract it.  Run procexp.exe, and choose File->Show Details for All Processes.  Then press CTRL+F and enter 072509-25755 in the search box. What shows up in the result list?
    Monday, July 27, 2009 9:28 AM
  • Hi..

I am also experience quiet similar to this, but I dont get thrown to a dump, My pc get stuck...  Any ideas??
    Follow the same suggestion with the .dmp file. Windows always creates this file at a crash, even though it may not tell you that it did.

Forum tip: If you have a problem / question, even though it is similar to someone else's, start your own thread , as we may get system info or other things confused between the two of you and give you a wrong diagnosis, and it makes helping you that much harder.

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back with its results...

Click here for my thread on Win7 min. requirements
    - JoelbX
    Monday, July 27, 2009 8:10 PM
  • I did as you mentioned without any trouble. Everything worked fine. When, however, I went to the search box (CTRL+F) and entered 072509-25755 the search ran but nothing showed in the result window. I tried to do the copy and paste as well as to ZIP the file again and get the same results as in teh previous messages.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:07 AM
  • Well, that's no fun...

Can you boot into safe mode, made a copy of the file, and then reboot and attempt to manipulate the copy?
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:35 AM
  • Well I finally managed to get this file to attach to the web-based email somehow.  I was having all sorts of trouble getting the file to zip and/or copy. Somehow it did copy and zip into the My Documents folder where I happen to stumble across it.

I have sent a copy to your email. Hope you find it and can find where I have/or had a problem as mentioned earlier in these threads.

However lately I have been having more problems with IE 8 stopping and recovering and less trouble with the first problem.

I am so confused.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:21 AM
  • If you continue to have bugchecks, I'd suggest uninstalling Avira and trying some other AV product such as AVG.

Regarding the IE problem - have you tried running IE with third-party extensions disabled (Internet Options->Advanced tab->"Enable third-party browser extensions" - uncheck it).  See if that helps - if so, then go through Manage AddOns and systematically try to identify the culprit.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:44 AM
  • So the anti-virus program, Avira, relates to the trouble of system stops and dumping to the mini-dump and not so much to the memory? Or could it be that Avira may not have updated their program for Win 7 and the program was currently running with the latest Vista writings. Over the last couple of days in trying to copy the formentioned file I haven't encountered any dumping and I saw that Avira has been sending several updates throughout the time I was on the pc. If you beleive that the Avira AV program will continue to be the culprit of the dumping problem then I'll consider a look into AVG.

Likewise, I'll work on the IE problem as you laid it out.

Thanks again for your help.
    • Unmarked as answer by CableMail Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:33 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Based off of the .dmp file, the Avira program is suspect. I don't know what their stance on 7 compatibility is or was.  If you aren't experiencing that problem any more, then perhaps it would not be beneficial to introduce further changes to the system.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:24 PM
  • You guys are all so helpful. I will look into your recommendation as well if I continue to have problems. I may even use it on my laptop soon as I have McAfee suite on it and I no longer like it. McAfee has changed so much that it really ties the system up with the updates and just is so annoying with several extras that I have taken to disable some of them. My laptop is running XP home.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:33 PM
  • 8/3/09    Hi No.Compromise, I'm back with maybe the same or just a bigger problem. This time the system did a complete 'STOP'. The blue screen said the system stoped so as to protect the computer from damage and said to see the Stop message for any trouble/code messages. But before that it gave a list of suggestions: check for enough disk space, check for any drivers in the stop message and disable them then check foe updates, try changing the video adapter, check the vendor for any BIOS update, and/or disable BIOS memory options like caching or shadowing. Restart computer and enter safe mode to remove or disable components.   I looked at the stop message and good greef I cannot read code cause it only shows the following: STOP: 0X0000007E (0X0000005, 0X866D807B, 0X856748FC, 0X856744E0). Is there anything in the coding that says anything? I will try to send you a copy of the minidump files if there are any logged.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:53 AM
  • Stop code 7E is a "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" bugcheck - "This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.".  In this case, I suspect the first param (the second hex number of five) is really 0xc 0000005; this is the code for an access violation.

Any dump file should be in %systemroot%minidump, e.g. c:\windows\minidump, with a timestamp that matches the occurrence.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 9:20 AM
  • The bugcheck from from the crash dump you sent is an "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP", EXCEPTION_GP_FAULT.  How closely did this one occur, to the SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED?
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 10:39 AM
  • Within 1-2 minutes after computer reboot.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 9:56 PM
  • OK.  It will be interesting to see if driver verifier can shed some light on things.  Go to start->run->verifier.exe->OK, and choose "Create standard settings.  Then click Next, Select driver names from a list, Next, sort the display by Provider and check all non-Microsoft drivers.  Then click Finish and reboot.  Then, wait for the next bugcheck; hopefully, the added verifier checks will turn something up.  When a new minidump is available, please toss it my way...
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 9:29 AM

• Eh! I am fairly experienced in working with, operating and building simple (not gaming) computers. But, I am not that advanced in techincal language, so in laymans term, what do you mean "ZIP" the file?
    I stopped reading it right there.  Thanks for the laugh.  :P
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 1:51 AM
  • Ok, glad you had a good laugh. You are of a type that bugs me. If you would have read a little more of the message, maybe you would have understood more.

But for your knowledge, some of the older operating systems did not come with built in ZIP file programs. I was not aware the WIN 7 did and I have not used Vista.

So thank you for the laugh!
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 4:10 AM
  • Three of the dumps are verifier traps that point the finger at avgntflt.sys - presumably, the AVG filesystem filter driver.  I'd suggest (disconnecting from any network, first) uninstalling AVG and not installing other AV software for the time being, and then seeing if enabling driver verifier allows the system to boot.  If so, run with verifier enabled for a while.

In addition... That the system bugchecks in safe mode seems to implicate hardware.  Do check for BIOS updates and consider restoring BIOS default settings.  Run manufacturer diagnostics on hardware.  Consider running sfc /scannow from an elevated CMD prompt, as well as chkdsk /r on all your drives.  Also consider systematic elimination of hardware from the system - either remove as much as you can and slowly reintroduce pieces until you encounter the problem, or remove one piece at a time until the problem no longer occurs.  It's tedious, to be sure...

Thursday, August 6, 2009 11:33 AM
  • I have done most of everything mentioned and it seems as though I encountered more problems and now I can't boot up. All that happens now id that the system goes into repair mode and can't be canceled. Even if i leave it go all the through the phase all it does it loops back into another repair mode. Some of the blue screen dumps prior to the latest had mentioned sound card driver missing, which was not missing and the reboot enabled the sound driver. Another screen mentioned cache problem and after that I now have the above recent problem. I really liked the Windows 7 system when it first installed, but now it seemed as though it worked itself right into the grave on my system. Ihave been thinking of just scraping the whole idea of continuing the RC test and calling it quits with all the problems that poped up. I am thinking that a fresh install is now needed, but I have two questions if I were to reinstall. I had mentioned my current set up in the begining of this thread and wonder if the set up really is good for the Win 7 excepting the hard drive? Second, do you think that my 20 gig hard drive contributed to the proformance problem being the system may not have had enough working room on the drive? I didn't want to wipe out my current set up on my 80 gig drive just to test a set up program for now. Thanks for you help and answers.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 5:09 AM
  • While I don't necessarily think the 20 GB drive contributed to the problem, I'd suggest using it for storage, rather than for putting the Win 7 OS on.

Your problems suggest to me some sort of hardware issue, given the variety and frequency of bugchecks.  It's possible there is some driver issue, but verifier was not really able to catch anything "in the act".

Do note that the RTM build of Windows 7 has been released to e.g. MSDN.  So any issues you may encounter with the RC will hopefully not be present in the RTM version.  Not sure if this will influence your decision to reinstall the RC or to wait for the RTM, but I thought I'd mention it.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 9:48 AM