AD CS
    AD DS
    DNS

Secondary Server:
    Windows 2012 R2 Standard
    AD CS
    AD DS
    DNS

Replication AD only from Primary to Secondary server.

We have bought Windows Server 2019 Standard for two and we plan to upgrade both server,

I have found lots of step to upgrade AD server for easy ways by adding the bootable Windows iso media and run adprep /forestprep.
    But I am worry If some thing else messup the configuration and AD itself.

My Plan,

1: Upgrade windows 2012 to Windows 2019
    2: After all done, I will start upgrade Windows 2008 R2 to Windows 2012 R2
    3. An then start to Upgrade to Windows 2019

Question : Any step or prerequisite before i start upgrading ? (for example, AD might not working during installation or etc)

Thanks

Ashraf

• Moved by nzpcmad1 Monday, November 18, 2019 5:34 PM From ADFS
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:29 AM

All replies

• Hi ashraterap,

Thank you for posting in our forum.

First of all, I want to confirm the environmental information with you.

The current situation is that there is a primary server 2018R2 and a secondary server 2012R2 in our environment. and upgrade two DCs to windows2019?

In general, we don't have a suggestion to upgrade, we recommend upgrading the new domain control and

transferring the FSMO role.

Steps to Upgrade windows 2012 to Windows 2019:

1.Check if the domain environment is healthy before upgrading, run dcdiag to check DC status.

2.Check where the FSMO role is, and then transfer to windows2019

3.After the transfer is complete, run netdown:query FSMO to check if the transfer is successful.

4.Run repadmin/showerp/ to check the domain environment and DC

If you want to use an in-place upgrade, you can try the method given in the link below.

Reference:Performing an In-Place Upgrade

In Place upgrade Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2019 Preview! Maybe

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

I hope this information can help you.

Best Regards,

Vicky

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

To promote the first domain controller on Windows 2019 , the forest functional level must be Windows 2008 R2 or higher and the replication system for sysvol folder must DFS-R.

You can perform a upgrade in(place from a DC Windows 2008 R2 or Windows 2012 R2 to Windows 2019 , you have to add a additional DC Windows 2019 then demote the old DCs 2008 R2 and 2012 R2.

The schema upgrade via the command adprep /forestprep. is required before promoting the first domain controller in Windows 2019.

Please don't forget to mark the correct answer, to help others who have the same issue. Thameur BOURBITA MCSE | MCSA My Blog : http://bourbitathameur.blogspot.fr/

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:24 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Vicky

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 2:02 AM
  • The two prerequisites to introducing the first 2019 domain controller are that domain functional level needs to be 2008 or higher and older sysvol FRS replication needs to have been migrated to DFSR
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Streamlined-Migration-of-FRS-to-DFSR-SYSVOL/ba-p/425405

You can use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then stand up the new 2019, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one, move on to next one.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 3:14 AM