none
FIM Database Size Too Big? RRS feed

• Question

• A colleague set up Forefront Identity Management 2010 recently, and the FIMService database has grown exponentially - it is currently sitting at 179 GB.  This is the .mdf file itself, the log file does grow too, but shrinks with each day due to our backup maintenance .

Can people who have FIM installed comment on the database size, whether or not this is "standard", and perhaps share what database sizes they typically experience?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:44 PM

All replies

• Not necessarily unrealistic. You can pull a report in SQL Management Studio and see how much of that space is utilized/free and also get a breakdown by table/index/etc.

Thanks, Brian

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:10 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

I did a "exec sp_spaceused" on the database, and got the following stats:

database_size: 221008.63 MB
    unallocated space: 61826.30 MB

reserved: 124617800 KB
    data: 122672680 KB
    index_size: 1716744 KB
    unused: 228376 KB

I ran the extended script available from http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Determine-size-of-database-6c5373cd, and the largest table is "ObjectValueText" at 122622784 KB and 832897 rows.

This all still sounding good?  I'm the one allocating the disk space and I've just been alarmed with how much its grown since its inception.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:20 PM
  • 122GB of free-form text data sounds like a lot - what are you storing in the database?

You might want to query that table and break it down by row count per attribute to start investigating. I think there's a

You can join the AttributeKey on a view called fim.attributes (sp?) to get the names of the attributes.

Thanks, Brian

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:26 PM
  • Again, thank you for your input.  This is very valuable to me.  I'll be sure to upvote each reply :)

The attribute used the most is 156, of which there are 832376 row.  According to the AttributeInternal table, is a "RequestParameter".  It seems to be logging every one of these that occur.  Perhaps we might want to tone down that logging.

I'll relay all of this information to the consultant who did the installation - thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:38 PM
  • OK so that's not abnormal necessarily. FIM retains a request trail as part of its normal behavior. You may need to bump the storage given your request volume and retention needs, or you might want to look in to reducing the request retention lifetime if that would meet your requirements.

Thanks, Brian

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:01 PM