Header or Footer function (field) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear,

I apologize for any errors in my description. My ancestry is Dutch.
    For a internship report I want a continuous page-numbering for the entire document  in the footer (page x of y). I also want page-numbering in the same footer of an chapter (''Heading 2"). Also how many pages and the total number. This because allot of the headings have on each page a table which continues until the next heading. There should be said: "Table x of y". I've tried to solve the problem with sections but you can only choose one option, counting down from section or continuously. And not both on one heading.

Thanks in advance. 

Boaz

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 8:48 AM

Answers

• For 'page x of y' numbering for a whole document, you can use Word's standard 'page x of y' numbering. In addition to the text, this inserts a PAGE field and a NUMPAGES field.

You can insert something similar for chapters if you use Section breaks between them, unlink each Section's footer from its predecessor, format the page numbering to re-start in each Section and, instead of a NUMPAGES field use a SECTIONPAGES field.

However, Word doesn't support two page numbering schemes in the same document. You can do the 'y' parts of both fairly easily, plus the 'x' part for the header; it's the 'x' part for the footer that provides the complication. For that, you can:
    • Insert = in the footer, followed by a PAGE field, then a hyphen, then a cross-reference to the Section's heading with the cross-reference formatted to return just its page #, followed by +1 \# 0. You should end up with something that looks like '=3-3+1 \# 0';
    • Select your '=3-3+1 \# 0' construction and press Ctrl-F9. You should now see {=3-3+1 \# 0}.
    • Select the {=3-3+1 \# 0} and press F9. You should now have a viable 'x' calculation for the Section's 'page x of y' numbering.
    • Repeat for each Section.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Wednesday, November 4, 2015 12:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by George123345 Tuesday, November 17, 2015 2:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 10:06 AM

All replies

• For 'page x of y' numbering for a whole document, you can use Word's standard 'page x of y' numbering. In addition to the text, this inserts a PAGE field and a NUMPAGES field.

You can insert something similar for chapters if you use Section breaks between them, unlink each Section's footer from its predecessor, format the page numbering to re-start in each Section and, instead of a NUMPAGES field use a SECTIONPAGES field.

However, Word doesn't support two page numbering schemes in the same document. You can do the 'y' parts of both fairly easily, plus the 'x' part for the header; it's the 'x' part for the footer that provides the complication. For that, you can:
    • Insert = in the footer, followed by a PAGE field, then a hyphen, then a cross-reference to the Section's heading with the cross-reference formatted to return just its page #, followed by +1 \# 0. You should end up with something that looks like '=3-3+1 \# 0';
    • Select your '=3-3+1 \# 0' construction and press Ctrl-F9. You should now see {=3-3+1 \# 0}.
    • Select the {=3-3+1 \# 0} and press F9. You should now have a viable 'x' calculation for the Section's 'page x of y' numbering.
    • Repeat for each Section.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Wednesday, November 4, 2015 12:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by George123345 Tuesday, November 17, 2015 2:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 10:06 AM
  • As Paul has pointed out, there is no built-in solution for this.

See my downloads page for Page Numbering Calculation Tutorial. I believe something from that might be adapted to your use.

See also How to control the page numbering in a Word document.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 12:00 PM