none
restorable Days with a weekly tape backup. RRS feed

• Question

• i have a question about what days i can restore off a weekly tape. This may be a multiple answer question.  so help me if you can.

My scenario, DPM 2010 and patches that i am aware of.

roughly 14 days worth of data to disk.  Weekly take taken every week on Sunday starting at 12:00am. 

Let me use the scenarios of the month of April.  The 1st has a recovery point from a monthly tape backup.

the 7th has a tape recovery point

the 14th has a tape recovery point

the 17th start the first set of disk based recovery points at 15 minute intervals.

the last day of disk based recovery points is on May 2nd.

taking the tape based recovery points, what day or days are recoverable.  Thinking of the tape backup from the 14th, would i be able to recovey any of the data from specific days between April 8th and April 13th?

please feel free to ask if you need able more details.

Ian

Ian

Thursday, May 2, 2013 2:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

All long term tape backups are "point in time" backup from the LAST disk based recovery point at the time the weekly tape backup job ran.  If the last disk based RP was made at 8:00PM and the tape backup ran at 11:00PM, DPM would mount the 8:00PM disk based recovery point and copy it to tape.

When you go to the recovery tab, and look at the recovery points for that time, you will see a DISK and a TAPE recovery point for the exact same time (8:00PM), since the files copied to tape are from the same disk based recovery point.

So, recovery options are the same as the disk based recovery point for that point in time.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 3, 2013 4:39 PM