none
Microsoft Visual Studio 6 in IE9 RRS feed

• Question

• Is Microsoft Visual Studio 6, or better, installed in IE9? If so how can I check that it is working? If not, is there a way to install it in IE9? I have a file that needs to be run in IE or using an IE Tab in SeaMonkey or Firefox so that the Microsoft Visual Studio will run. Thanks, Bob. 
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:58 AM

Answers

• I found out that a SVGViewer is required to view the diagrams.

I don't think you should need an add-on to do SVG in IE10.  

For example, see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc164114.aspx

and use the Copy code for Figure 1.  For a simple way to demonstrate it I opened a new tab.   (As it happens it was About:Blank but I don't think that matters.)   And then opened the Developer Tools (pressed F12.) and went into the Edit dialog (e.g. pressed Alt-E) and pasted in the copied code (pressed Ctrl-v).   Then I toggled the Edit mode off (pressed Alt-E again.)   Switched to the tab I had opened and saw the SVG example (Red Square, Green Circle, Blue Triangle).

So, I think you need to figure out why IE10's native SVG support is not working for your wiring diagrams.

BTW I think you should continue working publicly through this thread because there is always the chance that someone else has already solved whatever it is that is causing your symptom or that someone else has better insight than I do on what the possible cause may be and of course that either are willing to chip in with their ideas, thus having the potential of shortening your diagnostic phase.   Otherwise if you have some kind of deadline you would be better off getting some paid help from Microsoft.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Monday, April 15, 2013 6:26 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

I think you mean IIS (Internet Information server)....

Is not available on home editions of windows.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 4:09 AM
  • Thanks. I meant Internet Explorer 9 with MS Visual Studio. I'll check the site you mentioned. Regards, Bob.
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:56 AM
  • Hi Bob,

Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0  and Internet Explorer are two independent programs. So what installation method you mentioned is impossible.

In addition, based on your description, this may be related to the development issue, I suggest you go to MSDN forum to consult how to achieve your goal:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/visualstudio

Best regards,

Karen Hu

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:51 AM
  • I have a file that needs to be run in IE or using an IE Tab in SeaMonkey or Firefox

Sounds like you have hidden your Internet Explorer in your (undisclosed) OS.   In Windows Features be sure that Internet Explorer is checked.   In XP that option means only that shortcuts are hidden.   In later versions of Windows it means that the actual iexplore.exe (stub) program is hidden as well.   However, in all cases it leaves the browser functionality of the OS at the level the option specifies.   You can leave Internet Explorer checked so that iexplore.exe is available and not have it become your default browser.   There is even a prompt that you can leave enabled to remind you that you have done this.   If you do have Internet Explorer checked in Windows Features but don't see a shortcut for iexplore.exe you can always just Run... e.g. press Win-R and enter:  iexplore.exe

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi. Thanks. All I do is click on iexplorer.exe. IE runs but I can't view a particular file that requires either Active X or SVG both of which I have and are enabled. Bob.
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 3:43 AM
  • use the html5 document type declaration, then correct the markup errors that visual studio Intellisence finds or validate your markup at validator.w3.org

Rob^_^

Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:09 AM
  • IE runs but I can't view a particular file that requires either Active X or SVG both of which I have and are enabled.

That (vague) symptom could be explained by having ActiveX Filtering enabled or it could be a problem with security zones.   E.g. I just had a horrible UX which only required MOTW to fix it but which the symptoms obscured as a requirement.  What does "can't view" mean exactly?
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:34 AM
    Answerer
  • What I mean by "can't view" is that the manual has two sections. One is the Service information and the other is Wiring Diagrams. I can view one section but not the other. As far as I can see I have Active X enabled in IE9. One of the sections requires SVGViewer to be installed.

I used to be able to use Firefox and click on the Coral IE Tab which sent me to IE. It does no longer work. I was on XP before with an older version of IE. Thanks, Bob.

• Edited by BobFam Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:24 PM
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:22 PM
  • use the html5 document type declaration, then correct the markup errors that visual studio Intellisence finds or validate your markup at validator.w3.org

Rob^_^

Hi Rob. Thanks but I have no idea what you are trying to tell me. I am not a computer programmer just a user. Regards, Bob.
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:25 PM
  • I can view one section but not the other.

That still doesn't help us visualize what you see.   Remember, your words have to substitute for what our eyes might notice.   Alternatively, it may help to post a screenshot.   Another diagnostic tack to try would be to use the Developer Tools, Find tool  (F12, Ctrl-b)  and use it to find out the HTML source behind whatever it is you're looking at.
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Robert. Thanks. I tried F12, Ctrl-b and made two screenshots of the errors. I have no idea what the errors mean. Any help sure would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob.

• Edited by BobFam Sunday, April 14, 2013 2:16 AM
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 2:16 AM
  • it seems you are trying to open/load some kind of car service manual in a local/downloaded copy, in some form of html format.
    and, you're getting some kind of error message, so it's failing to correctly display the content?

some general advice here may help: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/object-doesnt-support-this-property-or-method/bb8b8be5-270c-44fd-a692-8e55d8ce499b

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, April 14, 2013 2:50 AM
  • Hi. Thanks. I tried all that. No success. I do not get any error message. It just does not display the Wiring or Service Info. All I know is I used to be open this exact file on my old computer with Firefox using the View in IE Tab. I give up. Regards, Bob.
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 4:12 AM
  • Hi Robert. Thanks. I tried F12, Ctrl-b and made two screenshots of the errors.

I have no idea what the errors mean.

Looks like the site may have some scripts to try to inhibit right-clicking which aren't working?  <eg>

However, I'm not sure what you did with the Find tool.  You are showing a Red-X in one of the page's frames but only the source for the frameset while you were in the Script tab.   After you use the Find tool you should come up in the HTML tab.  Then you can use right-click  Copy OuterHTML  to capture what is selected or use View, DOM (Element)  (keystrokes: Alt-V S e -- don't try to use Ctrl-T, that is a mislabeling).   OTOH maybe the frames construction and the apparent desire to inhibit right-clicking is making these diagnostics not work normally?

So, did you try using the Find tool on the Red-X?  After clicking the Find button (or pressing Ctrl-b) you would switch to the tab containing the Red-X, then left-click on the Red-X, then switch back to the DT hopefully to see the appropriate element selected in the HTML tab, where you would then use the above procedure to capture and examine its source.

FYI

Robert
    ---

Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:27 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Robert. I am getting closer. I dropped back to IE8. I now can try and view the wiring diagrams and get a black screen on the right. I found out that a SVGViewer is required to view the diagrams. I installed the SVGViewer but all it did was put a folder on my HD. It does not tell me how to install it into the IE Addons. I found another SVG Viewer that is supposed to be for IE8. (SSrC SVG Plugin V 13.0.0). Again it makes a folder on my HD but does not offer any help installing it in the IE Addons. Is there any way we could contact each other via PM, e-mail or Skype? I'd sure like the help as I know nothing about IE and all the WIN7 security issues. Best regards, Bob.
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:44 PM
  • I found out that a SVGViewer is required to view the diagrams.

I don't think you should need an add-on to do SVG in IE10.  

For example, see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc164114.aspx

and use the Copy code for Figure 1.  For a simple way to demonstrate it I opened a new tab.   (As it happens it was About:Blank but I don't think that matters.)   And then opened the Developer Tools (pressed F12.) and went into the Edit dialog (e.g. pressed Alt-E) and pasted in the copied code (pressed Ctrl-v).   Then I toggled the Edit mode off (pressed Alt-E again.)   Switched to the tab I had opened and saw the SVG example (Red Square, Green Circle, Blue Triangle).

So, I think you need to figure out why IE10's native SVG support is not working for your wiring diagrams.

BTW I think you should continue working publicly through this thread because there is always the chance that someone else has already solved whatever it is that is causing your symptom or that someone else has better insight than I do on what the possible cause may be and of course that either are willing to chip in with their ideas, thus having the potential of shortening your diagnostic phase.   Otherwise if you have some kind of deadline you would be better off getting some paid help from Microsoft.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Monday, April 15, 2013 6:26 AM
    Answerer