Unusual Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Two days ago I bought the Vista Home Premium Upgrade CD that allows you to install fresh with no OS at all or upgrade from XP (says so in the manual)

I formated my whole hard drive. All 3 partitions.

I inserted the Vista CD and then rebooted.

"Missing kernal file" came up.

So, I try inserting a different CD to make sure it wasn't my CD-ROM/DVD. The other CD's worked.

My dad tried his Vista CD (Ultimate) and it worked.

I'm in VISTA now. I used my Vista's Home Preimum product key and his Vista Ultimate CD to install.

I tried to insert the Vista CD I bought, and it won't recognize it. I click my "DVD RW Drive" and it won't show the Vista CD. It ejects and says "Please insert a disc into drive F"

I put in burned and non-burned CD-R and CD-RW and regular CD (even music CD) into my DVD Drive and it recognizes all of the files and the CD. It even lets me play burned music on burnable CD's (NOT DVD's - CD's)

So I know it works and recognizes CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD's, and DVD-RW.

1) It said "Missing Kernal File" when I tried to install from the brand new Vista CD.
    + It won't recognize it in my F drive from Vista

It says on the front of the package I purchased:

"UPGRADE: For users running Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP, or Windows Vista only. Backup and clean install may be required. See back of box for details."

In the manual, it says (With instructions even) that I can format and re-partition my whole hard drive and install "clean", which is exactly what I did (I didn't re-partition though.)

I was running XP previously.

Questions:
    1) Why did it say "Missing kernal file" (didn't tell me which file) when I booted from the Vista CD? And is there a way to fix it?

2) Why won't it get recognized when I insert it into my F: drive? (It isn't a DVD Drive problem. All others work.)

3) If I return this to Walmart, will they refund my money even though I used the product key? Is it standard procedure for stores to check or ask if the product key has been used?????? It seems to be a malfunctioned Disc. It won't recognize the Vista CD (Recognized ALL other CD's, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, and DVD-RW though), so I want my money back. It doesn't work.

4) Anything I can do to fix it and enable it to be recognized when I insert it into my F: drive???

I need the answers urgently and any help and support as fast as possible because I've got to go to walmart tomorrow and might not be able to get there again for weeks. I've got my receipt and I think 30 days, but I need this resolved before 4:00-5:00 tomorrow when I go to walmart (I don't have a car at the moment)

Thanks for any help everyone. 'Preciate it.
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:50 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

It seems that your Windows Vista DVD is damaged. Try to contact Walmart or Microsoft Customer Service to replace the disk. I am afraid you will not be refunded as the product key has been used. In fact, the product key is most important and the Windows Vista DVD is only a media.

Microsoft Customer Service: (800) 426-9400, available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:52 AM

All replies

• I would recommend opening a free Microsoft technical support request: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=10296&gprid=436922

Sunday, March 16, 2008 6:37 PM
  •  

Hi,

It seems that your Windows Vista DVD is damaged. Try to contact Walmart or Microsoft Customer Service to replace the disk. I am afraid you will not be refunded as the product key has been used. In fact, the product key is most important and the Windows Vista DVD is only a media.

Microsoft Customer Service: (800) 426-9400, available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:52 AM