Playing games problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows 7 RC 64bit, in most games my computer freeze and screen goes black , monitor will show a message the resolution is not supported ! then I should restart computer
    I have club ati 4850 512mb,4gb ram,2xsataII 500gb, motherborad asus p5q, cpu quadcore q6600.
    after playing 5-10 minutes in some games this happens ! what should i do ?? :(
    my vga driver is 9.10 (latest from ati site)
    please help
    Friday, October 30, 2009 11:02 AM

Answers

• Please contact ATI and see if they have published any updated driver for Windows 7 x64 version. Also, reduce the monitor screen resolution and check the screen resolution settings in games.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:32 AM
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:19 AM
  • That is a bit on the warm side, does you machine have good thermal management? I suggest making sure all fans are working and if needed, get a better chassis to get rid of the heat.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: IBM PC 300GL, Pentium III 667, Linux Server, has a 137GB disk limit, making it useless for upgrading my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

With the information supplied it could be a couple of things:

First thing to do is:
    Look in the event viewer to find if any event is registered on the moment your screen went black (Start -> Run -> type eventvwr )

If this leads to nothing usefull, try the following.

Most of the time, these things are related to drivers / missing DirectX runtime environment files
    Did you install only the ATI driver or the whole package (including the catalyst control center)? If you installed the CCC also, undo this installation and download & install only the driver for the ATI card.

What version of DirectX do your games need? If they need DirectX 9c, you have to install it.
    Download it from Microsofts site here

Hope this helps,

Armand
    Friday, October 30, 2009 12:48 PM
  • Please contact ATI and see if they have published any updated driver for Windows 7 x64 version. Also, reduce the monitor screen resolution and check the screen resolution settings in games.

Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:19 AM
  • no its not because of drivers, i have latest driver from ati
    i found the problem, the vga has high temperature even in idle mode, its about 80 degrees !
    the only solution that i have found till now is to manually set the fan speed of vga to higher values when i am playing games, then it wont crash !
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 8:37 AM