ConfigMgr Task Sequence Migration fails due to MDT RRS feed

• Question

• I've got two ConfigMgr 2012 R2 hierarchies (not connected) that both have MDT2013 installed with task sequences that use it and I can't migrate task sequences with MDT actions from one to the other.

Q. Is the built-in migration process still not supporting MDT actions when migrating task sequences?

e.g. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/293935a6-37c4-4277-b6a7-dd6b3b2f8738/cant-migrate-task-sequences-that-contain-mdt-tasks?forum=configmanagermigration

I did try removing and re-adding the MDT WMI on the destination hierarchy just in case, but that didn't make any difference.

FYI - The workaround I'm using:

1. Run a migration job on the task sequence. That will go through and do the migration for all the dependencies of the task sequence (packages, OS images etc) and then fails on the task sequence itself
    2. Export the TS from the source hierarchy using the "right-click/export" option. Just the TS itself, not the related pacakges
    3. Import the TS into the destination hierarchy
    4. For some reason all packages will be detected and re-attach except the "Setup Windows and ConfigMgr" action, so browse to that and update it

Scott.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:54 AM

Answers

• To my knowledge it still doesn't support migrating task sequences that make use of MDT integrated steps. I use the same work around that you've outlined here, to get around the issue.

Where the task sequences created earlier with an older version of MDT integrated, like MDT 2012 U1 or so?

Regards,

Nickolaj Andersen | www.scconfigmgr.com | @Nickolaja

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 5:34 AM

All replies

• To my knowledge it still doesn't support migrating task sequences that make use of MDT integrated steps. I use the same work around that you've outlined here, to get around the issue.

Where the task sequences created earlier with an older version of MDT integrated, like MDT 2012 U1 or so?

Regards,

Nickolaj Andersen | www.scconfigmgr.com | @Nickolaja

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 5:34 AM
  • I even tried creating a new "vanilla" MDT TS and it failed as well, so I guess it is still is an unsupported thing.

It does seem odd though that the log file actually mentions the possible MDT extension, but says it *might not* rather than *will not* work.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:00 AM
  • I even tried creating a new "vanilla" MDT TS and it failed as well, so I guess it is still is an unsupported thing.

What fails? Did you create a new TS from scratch? Or is migration still somehow involved?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:43 AM
  • Some of the initial task sequences had been created with MDT2012 and updated to 2013, some were created only with MDT 2013.

I also created a completely new basic MDT 2013 task sequence on the Source hierarchy, then tried to migrate it to the destination with the same failure.

Creating the task sequences is fine, it's the migration that fails.

WARNING: [Worker]:                 The following actions in task sequence H01004DA are not standard in Configration Manager 2012: BDD_UsePackage,BDD_Gather,BDD_RunPowerShellAction. Import into the destination site may fail. Is an extension installed, such as the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT)?

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:02 AM
  • As already stated in the other thread: it's not supported to migrate MDT task sequences unfortunately. You can remove all MDT-related steps (Gather, Use toolkit etc) and migrate it over, but it might be faster to re-create it from scratch.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:25 AM
  • Thanks Torsten,

I was kinda hoping CM2012R2 and MDT2013 might have sorted that issue out.

The approach I listed in my first post works well without needing to modify the sequence at all, and given the size of the task sequences involved, recreating them was really a last resort.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:00 PM
  • I wouldnt necessarily call this a bug, it is by design. MDT is an add-on to Configuration manager, just like 1E Nomad or Adaptiva OneSite. I wouldn't expect Microsoft to be able to migrate those add-ons, but I do think it reasonable to support MDT steps since they are both Microsoft products.

I would open a feature request on http://connect.microsoft.com to add this functionality.

Daniel Ratliff | http://www.PotentEngineer.com

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:07 PM
  • No, it isn't a bug, but it is still annoying. Personally I would have thought the migration tool would at least try to "match" the methods... they are the same names etc, and the fact that it actually recognises "non-standard" extensions tells me it has the logic to identify and process them if required.

Anyway, not a major drama as we have a viable workaround, but I will put a connect request in as well coz it would be nice to have.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:49 PM