Identifying Branch Distribution Points RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anything either in WMI or the Registry that is flagged on a Branch Distribution Point I can key in on to build a collection?
    Friday, October 24, 2008 1:01 PM

Answers

• I checked with dev and they knew of nothing that you could really key off of to create a collection for branch DPs.

I do know that we do add the SMS Distribution Point as a discovery property. So you could query on that value. Of course, it is going to include full DPs as well as branch DPs. If all your branch DPs were on client OS, you could then query the the OS and the site system role.

Or create static collections of them.

Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:28 AM

All replies

• I checked with dev and they knew of nothing that you could really key off of to create a collection for branch DPs.

I do know that we do add the SMS Distribution Point as a discovery property. So you could query on that value. Of course, it is going to include full DPs as well as branch DPs. If all your branch DPs were on client OS, you could then query the the OS and the site system role.

Or create static collections of them.

Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:28 AM
  • I was afraid you were going to say that.  =(

I think I will go the route of the discovery property seeing as I am trying to build a collection with all SCCM Site Roles to include full DP's.   Thanks for the info!

Saturday, October 25, 2008 1:43 PM
  • I came across this post today looking for the same thing.

http://blogs.msdn.com/steverac/archive/2007/11/19/branch-dp-internals-client-side-sccm-2007.aspx

Before receiving policy for Branch DP processing it is assumed that the actual Branch DP functionality has been enabled (Branch DP's must be configured as site systems in order for them to be visible in the package DP list - in this post we assume the branch DP has already been enabled).  It is easy to verify the Branch DP is enabled and ready to receive a package.  Simply check the root\ccm\policy\machine\actualconfig WMI namespace.  Look at the Instances list in the CCM_DistributionPoint namespace.  If the system has been enabled as a Branch DP you will see an entry in the instance list called CCM_DistributionPoint.DummyKey=1.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:18 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Joe Lurie Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:13 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:09 PM