Automatic re-arranging desktop icon after automatic updates are installed RRS feed

• General discussion

• Ho can I stop the Automatic re-arranging of desktop icons after automatic updates are installed?

Vista Ultimate SP1
    Friday, March 13, 2009 4:33 PM

All replies

•  

Hi EdDhyne, does the issue occur on every update installation or restarting the computer? This issue can be caused by third party software or malware, let's perform a Clean Boot and check the result:

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, March 16, 2009 7:20 AM
  • This only happens after an MS Automatic updated has been downloaded and applied. The next boot after the update, all the icons are re-arranged in alphabetical order. Thanks for the MSCONFIG tip.
    S
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:03 PM
  •  

Thanks for the update. This issue can be caused by installing video card driver from Windows Update. I suggest you roll back to the previous version and check the result:

1.       Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in Start Search and press Enter.

2.       Locate Display adapters.

3.       Expand it and right click on the adapter and choose "Properties".

4.       Under Driver tab, choose Roll Back Driver.

5.       After that, please restart the computer and check the result.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:56 AM
  • Ok I did that and it rearranged my icons. Why?

How is this going to stop the problem the next time Microsoft sends me an automatic update? 
    Friday, March 20, 2009 2:17 PM
  •  

Do you mean after rolling back the driver, desktop icons are backing to normal or the issue still occurs?

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, March 23, 2009 8:28 AM
  • No the Desktop icons have been re-arranged again and it looks like the screen size was changed.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 12:30 PM