none
project server 2013 - access denied RRS feed

• Question

• We've been using Project Server for 6 months now with no issues. Today all of a sudden no one (not even farm account) can acess the PWA instance. I try to request access but the farm account doesn't get a notification email. individual Project sites are accessible but anything at the top level site is not accessible. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Friday, June 7, 2013 6:47 PM

Answers

• i'm still not quite sure what exactly happened, but going into my central admin and re-setting the site collection administrators gave my farm account access. from there I had to go into each group and delete and recreate all the user group permissions. Once I completed that, everyone was able to access PWA again.

Just to be clear, I'm using the SP permissions, not PWA permissions, not sure if that has anything to do with what happened.  

Friday, June 7, 2013 7:44 PM

All replies

• i'm still not quite sure what exactly happened, but going into my central admin and re-setting the site collection administrators gave my farm account access. from there I had to go into each group and delete and recreate all the user group permissions. Once I completed that, everyone was able to access PWA again.

Just to be clear, I'm using the SP permissions, not PWA permissions, not sure if that has anything to do with what happened.  

Friday, June 7, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Hi Derek,

We are experiencing exactly the same problem. Do you also happen to have windows update enabled? This happened after OS level patching.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:29 AM
  • yes we use WSUS. do you have an idea which patch was ran when this began?
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:52 AM
  • These were the updates that failed during patch window. They are now successfully installed after the 2nd run.

Failed Windows Updates

Checking the ULS logs, there is an exception of:

PrepareDefaultAdminUsers failed.

and

User: PROJECTSERVER\system, PSI: The Project Server Administrators security group was not found in the project DB,

I have searched for these error messages but doesn't seem like anyone has encountered this.  

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:42 PM
  • [...] going into my central admin and re-setting the site collection administrators gave my farm account access. from there I had to go into each group and delete and recreate all the user group permissions. Once I completed that, everyone was able to access PWA again.

We're experiencing the same phenomenon in a dev environment. It's just one sandbox of many, so it may not have been detected for a few months.

As site collection admin, I can add and remove users from the SharePoint groups (this one dev instance uses SharePoint permission mode), but it did not have any effect.

Reprovisioning the instance failed with the following 2 messages (for more search engine coverage):

• Project Web Instance post provision setup completed with errors for instance http://server/PWASPDE. The error is 'PrepareDefaultAdminUsers failed.'
    • Provisioning 'SharePoint - 80:PWASPDE': Post provision setup failed. An exception occurred: PrepareDefaultAdminUsers failed

What finally helped was changing the permission mode from SharePoint to Project and back to SharePoint again. Of course, write down the permissions beforehand.

Hopefully, this won't reoccur too often in the future.

Kind regards,
    Adrian

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:33 PM
  • For the 'PrepareDefaultAdminUsers failed' error, you need to update the PWA Administrator account before provisioning/upgrading the project web app instance with the following powershell command: 

Grant-SPProjectAdministratorAccess -Url http://contoso-AppSrv/pwa -UserAccount contoso\john.woods

Once that's ran, you should be able to provision/upgrade without seeing this error.

Friday, April 8, 2016 6:58 PM