none
Add-on or Plug-in issues RRS feed

• Question

•  

I’ve just implemented Windows Steady State 2.5 on some of our public computers.  The computers are running Windows XP, service pack 3.  I am having problems with a number of web sites that want to load add-ons to IE7.  In the children’s department, the Webkinz web site is a good example.  When a patron tries to log into this site, an add-on Disabled windows pops up in the lower portion of the screen.  It states, “This webpage is requesting an add-on that is disabled.  To enable the add-on, click here.  Now if I log into this computer as an admin, it goes to the site no problem and does not prompt for the add-on.  The add-on it is prompting for is a flash player that is already loaded.  I get a similar message when trying to get to this site thru Firefox.  It tries to let the user load the add-on but then says the load failed.  This is just one web site.  Others are Cartoon Network, You Tube, GamePost, Yahooligans and Miniclip.  We are using Group policy and the Steady State GP add-in to manage the user and computer.  The user is a part of the “authenticated users” group on the C drive.  I’ve added the user to the local admin group but this has no affect.  What am I missing or is there a way to tweak the permissions to allow them to download stuff without giving away too much security?

Thursday, September 4, 2008 8:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There are two this happening here.  First, you need to install the Flash ActiveX control.  You'll need to be logged on as an administrator to do this (ActiveX objects are just like other programs, and thus require administrative rights to install).  Once the control is installed and you've verified that it works using your administrator account, open SteadyState and then open the restricted user under "User Settings".  On the "Feature Restrictions" tab, disable (un-check) this restriction:

Internet Explorer restrictions
    Toolbar options
    Third party extension buttons

Now save the user's profile by clicking OK, log off the administrator account, and log on as the resticted user.  You'll be able to use the Flash control in IE now.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 2:22 AM

All replies

• I have a similar problem. I've created a user account with restrictions in SteadyState 2.5 for guests using my computer. However, no sites using the flash player work in this account - it says the page is requesting an add-on which is disabled. On the same computer, with my admin account, flash is installed and the same sites work with no problems. I've even tried setting 'No restrictions' under the 'Feature restrictions' tab to troubleshoot and even then, flash still didn't work on the account using steadystate.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 3:22 AM
  • Hi,

There are two this happening here.  First, you need to install the Flash ActiveX control.  You'll need to be logged on as an administrator to do this (ActiveX objects are just like other programs, and thus require administrative rights to install).  Once the control is installed and you've verified that it works using your administrator account, open SteadyState and then open the restricted user under "User Settings".  On the "Feature Restrictions" tab, disable (un-check) this restriction:

Internet Explorer restrictions
    Toolbar options
    Third party extension buttons

Now save the user's profile by clicking OK, log off the administrator account, and log on as the resticted user.  You'll be able to use the Flash control in IE now.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 2:22 AM