Error message relating to Global.MPT when exiting Project Pro 2010 AppV RRS feed

• Question

• I have virtualised Project Pro 2010 (with SP1 and Cumulative Update Dec2011) using AppV 4.6 SP1.  I sequenced the application on a Windows XPSP3 x86 virtual machine that is not domain joined.  The application appears to be working without issue apart from the following:

If you open Project Pro and then select “File --> Exit”, a message appears stating:

“Project cannot find the path “C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\MS Project\14\1033\Global.MPT”
    “The specified path contains one or more folders that do not exist or cannot be accessed.  Change the path to contain only existing folders”

Project Pro connects to the Sharepoint server without issue so you can checkout documents and check them back in.  However, this message does appear every time you close Project, regardless if you have opened a project document or not. 

Is there a virtual registry entry I can add to the virtual package to make Project look at a different location for the Global.MPT to avoid this message when exiting the application?  Or, has anyone else come across this problem when virtualising Project Pro 2010 with AppV and distributing it to clients across the domain using SCCM 2007?  We use roaming profiles across the domain so it is possible to re-direct the Global.MPT in to each of the user profiles if this has been done before?

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 8:58 AM

Answers

• Guys, this turned out to be a conflict between a local installation of ProjectPro2010 and the virtual application.  I did a local install of Project 2010 on some disks to get the KMS count up on our test environment to 5.  The package worked on machines that didnt have the local install.  Un-installing the local version resolved the error message with regards to the Global.MPT file.

• Marked as answer by James_Garforth Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:18 PM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:18 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you read the following article;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/163093/en-us

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 9:03 AM
  • znack,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, i've read that particular article.  I have checked that location on the c:\drive and it is not read only.  I can create other files in that directory with my account.  Project Pro 2007 is also installed on the base unit via AppV in a seperate package which I forgot to add in the previous thread.

Can anyone detail the options I have to get round this?  Can I create a Global.MPT file and store it on my sharepoint server and then add a virtual registry key that points the application to this Global.MPT?  Would this be recommended practice?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Have you tested the Project package on clean machine? It would be worth ruling out any other applications that might be conflicting.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 12:07 PM
  • Guys, this turned out to be a conflict between a local installation of ProjectPro2010 and the virtual application.  I did a local install of Project 2010 on some disks to get the KMS count up on our test environment to 5.  The package worked on machines that didnt have the local install.  Un-installing the local version resolved the error message with regards to the Global.MPT file.

• Marked as answer by James_Garforth Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:18 PM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:18 PM