Word hangs when opening files on network share RRS feed

• Question

• I have a homegroup set up.  I have files on my work laptop (info24) that I access from my desktop (info23) when home.  The \\info24\documents is shared.  Often when I try to open an MS Office file on the laptop I get the splash screen with a Contacting: \\info24 and ESC to cancel.  Eventually the file will open.  But it's an extreme lag. While having the folder open I can open a pdf file in the same folder within a second.  This only happens with Microsoft Office products.

The network location is trusted within trust center.

All add-ins are disabled.

The only template is Normal (not on a network share - the local machine).

This is so frustrating.  It doesn't necessarily happen all the time either.  But when it is an extreme time waste when it does as I open and close many documents through the day.  I've even tried rebooting both machines - that has no affect.

I'm actually thinking about trying to switch to non-office products like open office so I can do word processing across my machines.  These are windows 7 machines btw.

I've seen some hacks to disable SMB2.0 and such but don't want to try hacks given the inherent risk.  All systems are updated with all Windows Update fixes.  This is a Microsoft Operating System and Microsoft Office products. If this is a real problem then I'd think Microsoft would have a real fix for it.

-

As an update - I saw some posts from Microsoft people that this was a known problem in 2009 and that a fix was coming. The only fix I found was a fix for windows server 2008. It of course wouldn't install on Win 7.

I also have a similar problem when dragging and dropping an MS Word attachment into an outlook message to attach it to the message.

Thanks

• Edited by Max Meng Monday, June 11, 2012 1:42 AM merge op reply
    Saturday, June 9, 2012 2:05 PM

All replies

• How does it work when trying to open the documents from the other network share?

Please also check if this problem will still persist when start Word in safe mode. To do so, hold Ctrl key and double click on the document from the network share, or type WINWord.exe /safe in the Run window.

What anti-virus/firewall are you using? Have you tried temporarily disable them?

Let me know the result, thanks.

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Max Meng Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:42 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:54 AM