Workgroup client cannot discovered SCCM 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have enabled the Network Discovery in SCCM 2012 R2, and defined the subnet of clients that I want to manage. Then IP subnet boundaries has been created. When I see Devices in Assets and Compliance, the workgroup clients cannot discovered.

Communication between the workgroup clients with SCCM server is no issue in the network, by ping and mapping folder share in both is good. Windows firewall on all workgroup clients has configured to allow port File and Printer Sharing and WMI.

How I can discovered all Workgroup clients?

Thanks

Regards, Bar Waelah

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 4:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• What does the network discovery log say?

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 4:55 AM
  • Where I can find the network discovery log?

Regards, Bar Waelah

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 7:09 AM
  • You set the subnet to discover but did you set something like DHCP as the resource to use to discover these devices? To do this select the DHCP tab in the network discovery and enter details of your DHCP server/s.

The netdisc.log file in in the Microsoft Configuration Manager\Logs folder on the site server. This file only exists if you have run a discovery.

Cheers

Paul | sccmentor.wordpress.com

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:23 AM
  • Paul,

No, I didn't set DHCP because is none DHCP server in my network and all workgroup clients is using static IP.

I have checked the netdisc.log, over there is no record of the workgroup client IP address. I've try to find workgroup client IP address in the log file, but always "No matches found".

Do you have any other solution?

Thanks.

Regards, Bar Waelah

Thursday, November 13, 2014 12:21 PM
  • If you don't have DHCP then you are all but foobar. Network discovery does not preform a ping sweep. At best you can hope that the Route's cache and details for the workgroup PCs or that SNMP is enabled but other than that there is nothing that you can do without 3rd party tools.

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Monday, November 17, 2014 9:54 AM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:10 PM
  • Apologize I've late response.

While waiting for the other solution updates, I have tried some following performs :

1. Install and configure SNMP Services in the workgroup client, by following this guide : http://www.poorperformance.com/wiki/Install,_Enable_and_Configure_SNMP_on_Windows

2. Make sure SNMP Service and SNMP Trap is running, and open SNMP port (UDP : 161 & 162) to allow in Windows Firewall.

3. Set below SNMP security on SNMP Service Properties :
    - community name : "public
    - Rights : "READ ONLY
    - Accept SNMP packets from these hosts : "(SCCM server IP address)"

But after several time and the Network Discovery has completed, the workgroup client is still not discovered and also is no recorded in netdisc.log.

If impossible to add/install DHCP server in the network, so is there any other solution?

Thanks.

Regards, Bar Waelah

Monday, November 17, 2014 12:12 PM
  • Hi Bar Waelah,

I think you need to configure the Maximum hops on the bottom of SNMP Tab.

For more details, please check the Limiting Network Discovery.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712308.aspx#BKMK_NetworkDisc

You could also specify the IP Address or NetBIOS name of the device in SNMP Devices.

Best Regards,

Joyce 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Friday, November 21, 2014 8:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bar Waelah Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:38 AM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:37 AM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for your effort and support.

Finally I also have best solution to discovering WORKGROUP clients by SCCM 2012 R2 Network Discovery, with perform following steps :

1. Install and configure SNMP services in the workgroup client manually, set SNMP community name to "public" and Accept SNMP packets from SCCM server host/ip address.

2. Configure Network Discovery : add "WORKGROUP" domain name on Domains tab, set maximum hops to "2", then add ip address of the workgroup clients on SNMP Devices tab.

3. Wait until the Network Discovery is start on the next interval.

Then BINGO!... the workgroup client in my network has discovered and monitored by SCCM. 

Regards, Bar Waelah

• Marked as answer by Bar Waelah Saturday, November 22, 2014 12:02 PM
    Saturday, November 22, 2014 12:02 PM