none
Windows 7 MAK vs KMS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I currently have a KMS server and 6 other windows Server 2008 R2 installations which have all activated via the KMS server and all is well. I am planning on deploying Windows 7 soon, but will only do a few workstations at a time. Maybe 2 or 3 per month will be the rate of replacement/deployment.

My question is this: I know 25 workstations are required to allow the KMS server to active workstation clients. However since I have met the threshold of 5 servers, do I still need 25 clients to meet the threshold for clients, or am I all good now? I guess if the thresholds are a one or the other thing, or you need to meet both in order for clients to activate.

If I do need to meet 25 before KMS will activate Windows 7 clients, should I use my organizations MAK key until I reach 25, then change the key using the generic KMS key via http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee355153.aspx#EFAA.

Thanks

Zack

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:22 PM

Answers

• You still need the 25 Windows 7 clients to kick in the kms activation of that client OS...

Server & Client OS's maintain different counts as far as KMS activation server is concerned.

Everything you need to know for 7 is in here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BF11BBF3-5E2E-4F6B-AA39-965AF07751C1&displaylang=en

You need to work out if you can be bothered to rearm your first 25 machines within your timeframe (MS are quite generous with this, but it will be necessary to run the commands in time via a script or manually etc). After you'ce got 25 the KMS server will just take care of it. Alternativeley it's a fairly simple process to convert to MAK for the first few, but then you've got the task of converting them back, so if at all possible I woulg go down the KMS route from the outset.

This is an issue of the new MS licensing model that I'm sure is causing issues with customers that have an intention to roll out new Os's on mass, but only want to deploy a few to test initially. I guess generally though that any build development work would hit the 25 machine threshold fairly quickly with the inevitable build iterations, and then it wouldn't necessarily be an issue.

Hope this helps

Douks

• Proposed as answer by Douks Friday, March 12, 2010 11:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:44 PM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 11:33 PM
  • The KMS server, if these 2 servers put you over the minimum 25, will dish out activation for, I believe, 180 days, until the 2 old servers' records in KMS get dropped, in which case, hopefully you'll have two other systems to take over.  KMS stores computer names that talk to it   Otherwise, if you go again below 25, the KMS server will stop sending out activations, and you'll have problems.

Hopefully, having 180 days, you'll order two new computers, servers, laptops, upgrade older ones, or a combination of these to reach the minimum 25.

Hope that helps!

--Quentin 

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:19 PM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 5:25 PM
  • If I understand correctly you are worried about KMS activating more machines that you are licenced for...

If you retire & rebuild a server with a differnt OS, don't worry. The KMS activation will still work. Your legal limit is based on your licensing agreement - the KMS key you have been supplied will not impose an upper limit on activations.

This is the reason why the "bad boys" are putting up KMS servers on the internet to allow literally anyone to activate their windows OS if they know the web address. They need to be STOPPED, but at least the KMS continual re-activation model means that when the "bad boy" server is removed, the individuals machine will have to revert to the OS default grace period before reduced functionality kicks in.

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by Douks Friday, April 2, 2010 9:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, April 4, 2010 12:20 PM
    Friday, April 2, 2010 9:36 PM

All replies

• You still need the 25 Windows 7 clients to kick in the kms activation of that client OS...

Server & Client OS's maintain different counts as far as KMS activation server is concerned.

Everything you need to know for 7 is in here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BF11BBF3-5E2E-4F6B-AA39-965AF07751C1&displaylang=en

You need to work out if you can be bothered to rearm your first 25 machines within your timeframe (MS are quite generous with this, but it will be necessary to run the commands in time via a script or manually etc). After you'ce got 25 the KMS server will just take care of it. Alternativeley it's a fairly simple process to convert to MAK for the first few, but then you've got the task of converting them back, so if at all possible I woulg go down the KMS route from the outset.

This is an issue of the new MS licensing model that I'm sure is causing issues with customers that have an intention to roll out new Os's on mass, but only want to deploy a few to test initially. I guess generally though that any build development work would hit the 25 machine threshold fairly quickly with the inevitable build iterations, and then it wouldn't necessarily be an issue.

Hope this helps

Douks

• Proposed as answer by Douks Friday, March 12, 2010 11:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:44 PM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 11:33 PM
  • thanks for the info. Now what is the process if i want to retire a server. For example i have 2 servers i am going to reformat and upgrade from Server 2008 R1 to 2008 R2 and they will have to reactivate. That may make it appears as i am over my count when i am in fact not. how does MS handle this? There is no info in the deployment guide about such a case.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 5:03 PM
  • The KMS server, if these 2 servers put you over the minimum 25, will dish out activation for, I believe, 180 days, until the 2 old servers' records in KMS get dropped, in which case, hopefully you'll have two other systems to take over.  KMS stores computer names that talk to it   Otherwise, if you go again below 25, the KMS server will stop sending out activations, and you'll have problems.

Hopefully, having 180 days, you'll order two new computers, servers, laptops, upgrade older ones, or a combination of these to reach the minimum 25.

Hope that helps!

--Quentin 

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:19 PM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 5:25 PM
  • If I understand correctly you are worried about KMS activating more machines that you are licenced for...

If you retire & rebuild a server with a differnt OS, don't worry. The KMS activation will still work. Your legal limit is based on your licensing agreement - the KMS key you have been supplied will not impose an upper limit on activations.

This is the reason why the "bad boys" are putting up KMS servers on the internet to allow literally anyone to activate their windows OS if they know the web address. They need to be STOPPED, but at least the KMS continual re-activation model means that when the "bad boy" server is removed, the individuals machine will have to revert to the OS default grace period before reduced functionality kicks in.

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by Douks Friday, April 2, 2010 9:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, April 4, 2010 12:20 PM
    Friday, April 2, 2010 9:36 PM
  • Hi. I'm trying to get KMS activation working with VMware View and am failing. I have created a KMS server (Windows 7) successfully. The problem is that I need to activate my parent image with the KMS before I can deploy and have the linked clones automatically activate against this KMS server.

When I attempt to activate the parent Windows 7 machine it complains that activation cannot happen. After investigation I found that at least 25 Windows 7 machines need to kick in before KMS will activate guests.

How do I get to that 25 number if I'm relying on the parent to be activated first? Is there some way to trick the KMS server that 25 machines have kicked in? I don't get it. How do I get my environment licensed against this KMS server?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:40 PM