CD/DVD problem not exactly like the others RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Vista Buisness version

I'm having problems with a NEC DVD RW ND 3500AG ATA Device connected with IDE

It is detected in device manage and says its working properly and the icon does show up when I look in computer.

Driver provider: Microsoft

Driver date: 6/21/2006

Driver version: 6.0.6000.16386

Main problem: When I put in a CD or DVD it does not auto run, I then try to open it manually in computer and when I click on the icon my drive will then start to spin and it will keep spinning forever until I eject the disk. Also when the drive is spinning it tanks my processor making any simple action like opening a folder take a very long time (like a few mins). The drive window never pops up with the CD or DVD's contents only the loading bar where the address is will keep filling up until it is maxed and then just stay there forever while the drive is still spinning. This happens after a fresh install. The cables are tightly pressed into the correct slots and the drive has no problems installing the OS from boot but once Vista is install then the device has problems working only within vista only. I've also tried removing the device from the manager and then rebooting only to find that vista has found the device again yet the problem still remains.

Sometimes just leaving the CD or DVD in the drive will cause the device to spin causing my computer to bog down, I'm thinking its because it keeps trying to auto run and failing (not sure though). As of right now I'm not able to install any applications via CD or DVD.

Other links: for people having issues in this general area

None of these solutions in these links fixed my problem, there is only one that I have not tried and that was to reboot the machine 20 times till vista finally figures it out. I'll follow up if that fixes the problem.

Any tips/hints/tricks/regedits are welcome

Thanks for your time.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 7:04 AM

Answers

• Ok so my friend and I both have NEC drives and we both are having similar problems but not exactly, ended up buying a LightScribe drive and vista accepted the drive with no problems. Vista installed drivers without a flinch. Once that was finished I poped in a DVD to test and bam no more problems. LightScribe is a life saver, save yourself some aggravation if your having this problem and buy a new drive.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 1:35 AM

All replies

• Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Was hoping vista would work out the kinks but no luck yet.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 12:22 AM
  • Ok so my friend and I both have NEC drives and we both are having similar problems but not exactly, ended up buying a LightScribe drive and vista accepted the drive with no problems. Vista installed drivers without a flinch. Once that was finished I poped in a DVD to test and bam no more problems. LightScribe is a life saver, save yourself some aggravation if your having this problem and buy a new drive.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 1:35 AM
  • I am having an identical problem with my DVD-RW drive.

My drive model is LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S.

This drive works perfectly fine in Windows XP.  I have saved a backup image of my Windows XP installation, and tested it with that previous installation..  However, if I boot my PC with Vista I have the same problem every time.

It's very frustrating because according to the device manager the drive is visible and functioning correctly.  If I try to update the drivers, I am told that they are up to date.  I have updated the firmware on the drive, all to no avail.

Do I simply have to wait for LITE-ON to update its firmware for Vista?  I certainly don't feel like I should have to go and purchase a new DVD burner, as this one is less than a year old.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:48 AM
  • FYI: Well I'm still waiting for nvidia to come out with their series 7 drivers and I'm not gonna hold my breath. This is either some kind sales pitch because the series 8 has vista drivers out and ready to download. Either that or nvidia does not have the man-power to get the job done, which I highly doubt.

My Opinion: If I were you I'd either go to bestbuy and get a new drive, which will have the latest firmware and end your aggrivation...its 60 bucks but you wont have any more problems. Either that or just sit back for a few weeks hoping that the drivers will come out then. Could even go to newegg and buy a drive for 30 bucks but its risky because if the drive does not work you would have to fork over some more cash to ship it back to replace it.

Hint: When you install vista, vista goes out on a limb and tries to install the vista version of the drivers for your hardware. Now vista has an extensive list of drivers for all sorts of products. I'm willing to bet that there is a problem with the driver and no one realized it or occured to ms to even fix it, if you could find some way to uninstall the driver and force a different driver there. This might solve your problem. My guess would be to find a option (i haven't found one maybe some kind of reg tweak or something of that sort) to have vista manually install drivers for all hardware or just uninstall the driver and install the one you want to try and then restart and hope that vista does not overwrite it. I didn't want to try this out because I just did not want to mess around for a few hours testing when I could spend a few mins hooking up the new drive and have it working again.

Firmware: I don't think updating the firmware will have any effect for solving this problem, I could be wrong but this is my experience talking. Stick to the driver first and try something other then microsoft to get it working. Once again I'm just guessing....Good Luck.

Let me know what you end up doing.

Monday, March 12, 2007 6:09 AM
  • recherche mise a jour de mon lite-on-dvdrw shw 1635s

merci salutation

ps si possible en francais

Monday, June 25, 2007 10:25 AM
  • =======
    In English
    =======

Even I have an NEC DVD RW ND-3500AG ATA with only one difference - it never gave me such problems.

Maybe it has a different firmware as I bought it recently (before installing Vista though). It could also contribute the fact that I use AnyDVD.

Some hints:
    1) Make sure the the lens inside the drive is clean. Use a lens cleaner to clean.
    2) Make sure that the CD or DVD you insert is not dirty or damaged.

========
    En francais
    ========

Même j'ai un NEC DVD RW ND-3500AG ATA avec seulement une différence - elle ne m'a jamais donné cette problèmes. Peut-être elle a un progiciel différent parce-que je l'ai acheté récemment (ma avant d'installer Vista). Elle pourrait également contribuer le fait que j'emploie AnyDVD.

Quelques conseils:
    1) S'assurer que l'objectif à l'intérieur de la commande est propre. Employer un décapant d'objectif pour nettoyer.
    2) S'assurer que le CD ou le DVD que vous vous insérez n'est pas sale ou endommagé.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:20 PM