Dream Scene problem RRS feed

• Question

•  

Sometimes Dream Scene turns off automatically with message "Dream Scene encountered error and turned off", and I have to turn it on again each time.

This happens when my PC fails to resume after hibernation, or after power failure, or when Explorer was terminated by error.

Is there any way to disable auto-turning off?

Friday, October 10, 2008 3:25 AM

Answers

• Andrei

There is no way to disable this function.

When an error occurs, Vista will disable or turn off anything that might cause damage to the system while the error state exists.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:18 PM

All replies

• Andrei

There is no way to disable this function.

When an error occurs, Vista will disable or turn off anything that might cause damage to the system while the error state exists.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:18 PM
  • Not exactly. When I boot my comp after some hibernation error (this problem is the most frequent), Explorer loads DreamScene first (I can see first frames of animation), and after then it shows error message and desktop background goes black. So, if DreamScene could do some real damage, it's already been done anyway Wink

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:28 PM
  • Hi Andrei

What is the displaed error message?

In addition, go to Administrative Tools/Event Viewer.

Expand the Custom Views and select Administrative Events.

Look in the right side for any red icon error messages that have a date and time that you last observed this behavior.

If you find one, double click the error to see the details. At the lower / left corner of the details screen, click the 'Copy Button' and paste the results back here in a reply.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Friday, October 10, 2008 6:00 PM
  • It doesn't depend on error kind. I can just press "Reset" when Windows is working, and after reboot DreamScene will initialize, show first frames of animation, and only after it will be disabled with message "Windows DreamScene has encountered an error". So, if this auto-disable feature was intended to prevent some possible damage from DreamScene (?!), it won't prevent it actually.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 5:21 AM
  • user="Andrei Faber"]

It doesn't depend on error kind. I can just press "Reset" when Windows is working, and after reboot DreamScene will initialize, show first frames of animation, and only after it will be disabled with message "Windows DreamScene has encountered an error". So, if this auto-disable feature was intended to prevent some possible damage from DreamScene (?!), it won't prevent it actually.

Andrei

It may not be the auto-disable feature causing this, but something is causing the DreamScene component to error out and exit. Does the popup error window have any other details besides "Windows DreamScene has encountered an error"?

The Event Viewer records everything that happens on the system, whether it is error related or not. Follow the instructions in my previous message using the Event Viewer.

Let me know what you find.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:04 PM
  •  

This is full error message:

[Window Title]
    Windows DreamScene

[Main Instruction]
    Windows DreamScene has encountered an error.

[Content]
    Windows DreamScene has detected that Explorer was not closed properly. As a precaution, DreamScene has been temporarily disabled.

[OK]

Friday, October 17, 2008 3:00 PM
  • user="Andrei Faber"]

This is full error message:

[Window Title]
    Windows DreamScene

[Main Instruction]
    Windows DreamScene has encountered an error.

[Content]
    Windows DreamScene has detected that Explorer was not closed properly. As a precaution, DreamScene has been temporarily disabled.

[OK]

Andrei

I have re-created this error by enabling DreamScene, stopping the Explorer.exe process in Task Manager and then restarting Explorer.exe.

Screenshot:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa86/rvmv/DreamScene_Disabled.jpg

This is the 'auto disable' feature that I mentioned earlier. There are some registry values that control these functions with DreamScene, but even if the user manually changes these values, the system will override the manual changes.

In previous messages, you said:

This happens when my PC fails to resume after hibernation, or after power failure, or when Explorer was terminated by error.

And then:

It doesn't depend on error kind. I can just press "Reset" when Windows is working, and after reboot DreamScene will initialize, show first frames of animation, and only after it will be disabled with message "Windows DreamScene has encountered an error". So, if this auto-disable feature was intended to prevent some possible damage from DreamScene (?!), it won't prevent it actually.

This is actually the way it's designed to work. When an error state occurs in a component (Explorer.exe) and then another process starts (DreamScene) that uses the unstable component where the error occured, then that process is stopped. In this case, DreamScene would be the last process to start after the reboot.

DreamScene uses a lot of resources when it runs and these cycles are taken directly from the Explorer.exe process. Start Task Manager, without DreamScene running, and check the Explorer.exe process in the CPU cycles column. Leave Task Manager running and start DreamScene, you will see the cycles in the CPU column jump up to 10x or more from what they were without DreamScene.

NOTE: When checking this, Task Manager should only cover a portion of the screen, because the DreamScene video automatically pauses when the Desktop is completely covered by another applications maximized window.

What happens if you perform a normal Shutdown and then Restart or just a normal Restart using the Start Menu buttons? If this works OK, without the error occuring, then we need to troubleshoot what is causing Explorer.exe to malfunction and restart.

Did you find anything in the Event Viewer?

Let me know.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Friday, October 17, 2008 9:03 PM
  • I see your point; however, I can't say this solution is acceptable. It's always not good to do something without asking user.

>If this works OK, without the error occuring, then we need to troubleshoot what is causing Explorer.exe to malfunction and restart.

This ultimate feature is hibernation; my comp fails to resume after hibernation each other time. However, it's a separate question.

PS just wondering... why wasn't DreamScene made a separate process? It's not good to keep such high-weight feature in the system critical process.

Saturday, October 18, 2008 5:04 AM
  • user="Andrei Faber"]

I see your point; however, I can't say this solution is acceptable. It's always not good to do something without asking user.

PS just wondering... why wasn't DreamScene made a separate process? It's not good to keep such high-weight feature in the system critical process.

I cannot comment on the design of Windows, or why certain programming decisions were made. I do participate in all of the beta opportunities for Windows, Service Packs, etc, which does give me an opportunity to discuss how I think components should be designed and how I think they should work.

I can only tell you how they are designed to work in their current, released form and try to help troubleshoot problems.

If you want to let Microsoft know how you feel about the current implementation of Windows or if you have constructive criticism, there are a couple of ways that you can do this.

Here is a link to the feedback form where you can make suggestions. They do read these messages and pass them along to the proper development teams.

Speak to us at Microsoft - Windows Vista Feedback Form:
    https://feedback.windowsvista.microsoft.com/default.aspx?productkey=winvista&mkt=en-us&backurl=http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_vista_master

There is also a great opportunity to discuss ideas and make suggestions for the next version of Windows.

The following link is being operated by the very highest level Windows decision makers at Microsoft. Some of the Microsoft product development team members are posting articles here. You can leave comments and discuss what you want to see changed in the next version of Windows.

Engineering Windows 7:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/default.aspx

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Saturday, October 18, 2008 8:23 PM
  • Here is what you asked for from the event log:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        SideBySide
    Date:          5/21/2009 3:46:44 PM
    Event ID:      33
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:        
    Computer:     
    Description:
    Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\system32\AcSignIcon.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="SideBySide" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-05-21T22:46:44.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>18297</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>TracyGulino</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>C:\Windows\system32\AcSignIcon.dll</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

What now, How can I fix this?
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:51 PM
  • Scenario:
    2 Typical kids in my family and guess what? They are L-A-Z-Y!!!! I tell them not to but..... Late at night they shut off their PC by holding in the power button until it shuts off.

Early morning they get this error:

Windows Dream Scene has detected that Explorer was not closed properly. As a precaution, Dream Scene has been temporarily disabled.
    So, Dad gets to reset it.

Whose idea was this? And do they have a family? In this age of computers in every H-O-M-E? *sigh*
    I have looked for an answer but no one has one. Maybe you can tell me.

The root of the behavior that keeps this problem happening is my inability to mind control another person. Even if its not the desired way of shutting it off, they at least shut it off.

Monday, July 13, 2009 9:17 PM