Suddenly Can't Pin Folders to my Windows Explorer Icon on the Taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• This is really strange but I use to have My Computer and Recycling Bin pin to the Windows Explorer Icon on the taskbar and whenever I right click I would get those 2 options plus whatever folders I'd been working on recently BUT the last week I went to right click and there was nothing, no My Computer or Recycling Bin or anything other then "Windows Explorer" option which opens to my libraries which I dont want. I dont know what happen it just suddenly stop working, I tried to repin the items and it look like it was repinning them but when I right click still nothing. I get either Windows Explorer or Unpin from taskbar as my only options when I right click. It was working fine since I have had the beta and I just dont know what has happen. Can someone please help me? Oh my other icons dont seem to have any problems, Notepad will still give me my recently worked on items as an option when right clicking, and Control Panel also is ok jus this Windows Explorer has this issue.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 6:36 AM

Answers

• Hi TWhitestone,

Based on my understanding, you meant that the recent jumplist for Windows Explorer is gone on your computer, did you? If it is the case, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1. In general, the recent jumplist file is stored at the following location:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

Check in this folder to see if the 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms is located, the 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms includes Windows Explorer jumplist data. You can manually delete it and the data will be re-created.

2. Check in the following folder to see if My Computer and Recycle Bin is pinned, any application pinned to taskbar will be added in this folder.

%APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar 

If there aren't shortcuts for My Computer and Recycling Bin, you can drag My Computer and Recycle Bin to this folder.

3. If the issue persists, there may be corrupted registry settings in this user profile. Please follow Thomas_77's suggestions to do a System Restore or Creating a new user account for test.

Best Regards
    Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Sunday, January 3, 2010 7:52 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:46 AM
  • Hello,

This problem should be caused by corrupted user account. Try perform a system restore:

1. Click the Start Button, type "system restore" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter. Click Continue if necessary.
    2. Click Choose a different restore point, and click Next.
    3. Choose a time before the issue occurs and click Next.
    4. Click Finish and click Yes to confirm the operation. 

If the problem still happens, create a new account and to see if the issue persists.

1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel.
    2. Under the Classic View, double click "User Accounts".
    3. Click "Manager another account" and click "Create a new account".
    4. Input the user name, select "Computer administrator" as the desired account type, and then click "Create Account".
    5. Restart your computer and log on as the new created user account.

Thomas77
    Monday, December 28, 2009 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hello,

This problem should be caused by corrupted user account. Try perform a system restore:

1. Click the Start Button, type "system restore" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter. Click Continue if necessary.
    2. Click Choose a different restore point, and click Next.
    3. Choose a time before the issue occurs and click Next.
    4. Click Finish and click Yes to confirm the operation. 

If the problem still happens, create a new account and to see if the issue persists.

1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel.
    2. Under the Classic View, double click "User Accounts".
    3. Click "Manager another account" and click "Create a new account".
    4. Input the user name, select "Computer administrator" as the desired account type, and then click "Create Account".
    5. Restart your computer and log on as the new created user account.

Thomas77
    Monday, December 28, 2009 9:08 AM
  • Hi TWhitestone,

Based on my understanding, you meant that the recent jumplist for Windows Explorer is gone on your computer, did you? If it is the case, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1. In general, the recent jumplist file is stored at the following location:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

Check in this folder to see if the 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms is located, the 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms includes Windows Explorer jumplist data. You can manually delete it and the data will be re-created.

2. Check in the following folder to see if My Computer and Recycle Bin is pinned, any application pinned to taskbar will be added in this folder.

%APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar 

If there aren't shortcuts for My Computer and Recycling Bin, you can drag My Computer and Recycle Bin to this folder.

3. If the issue persists, there may be corrupted registry settings in this user profile. Please follow Thomas_77's suggestions to do a System Restore or Creating a new user account for test.

Best Regards
    Dale

Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:46 AM
  • ---------------------------------

2 Steps (cautious one)

---------------------------------

#1: Go to below location:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\

#2: Rename below file to any other name!

1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms

Thats all !

Now "Pin To Windows Explorer" works !!!

1 STEP:

# Run the below command in CMD , or delete the below file manually!

del %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms

Thats all !

Now "Pin To Windows Explorer" works !!!

• Proposed as answer by sadsda Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:30 AM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:44 AM
  • Thanks mreddy2. Your solution for deleting it from CMD prompt worked. 

Before this i tried finding/deleting the file from explorer. Changing the setting in Taskpar > properties . even modifying regedit with no success. 

Thanks man ! 

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:34 AM
  • Thanks for this mreddy2, your solution is simple and it works!  cheers mike
    Monday, September 5, 2011 3:23 PM
  • the first solution worked for me
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 10:52 AM
  • Mreddy2, You sir are a genius. Thank you for your time and expertise. Step 2 worked perfectly. 

The only item in my task bar that wasn't working was windows explorer. When I came into the office this morning the computer would not start or restore. I ran a memory diagnostic, and that got windows started. Everything seemed fine until I went to open a mapped drive that was pinned to windows explorer. It was gone. But all the other apps in the task bar were working as they should. I could remove pins and add pins as long as they were not explorer related (such as a folder), and the jump lists were working too. I tired repairing the registry and restoring is windows (which still sin;t working). Nothing helped until I found this thread. Thanks again. 

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:19 PM