Difference between Win 7 and Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have used Windows 7 for some time, but reverted back to Vista due to graphic card incompatibility problem.

However, one thing I have experienced is that Win 7 is much faster than Vista. I heard that Windows 7 actually is also based on the core of Vista, so what else contribute to the performance difference?

My laptop is still the same with the memory, cache, CPU and everything intact. So which improvement have made Win 7 faster? Did it use smarter caching algorithm or else? Is it possible to do the same in Vista?

Another question is that many people suggest turning unused service to make Vista faster. But does that really work? If the service uses only functions that are idle at the most time, then they should not be a burden to the system at all. So even turning of many services might not help much.

Any comment and suggestion on this?  If turning off services really works, which service(s) could be safely turned off?

Thanks,

Bob

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 2:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting!

Memory management improvements in Windows Vista focused on areas such as dynamic system address space, enhanced NUMA and large system/page support, advanced video model support, I/O and section access, and robustness and diagnosability.

While memory management improvements in Windows 7 focused on areas such as improved working set management, fine grained page locking, improved ASLR and NX security, NUMA and other high-end server optimizations, and integrated NVRAM support.

To speed up Windows Vista, please refer to the following artical:

Optimize Windows Vista for better performance

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Bob Sun Friday, December 3, 2010 7:13 PM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 8:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting!

Memory management improvements in Windows Vista focused on areas such as dynamic system address space, enhanced NUMA and large system/page support, advanced video model support, I/O and section access, and robustness and diagnosability.

While memory management improvements in Windows 7 focused on areas such as improved working set management, fine grained page locking, improved ASLR and NX security, NUMA and other high-end server optimizations, and integrated NVRAM support.

To speed up Windows Vista, please refer to the following artical:

Optimize Windows Vista for better performance

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Bob Sun Friday, December 3, 2010 7:13 PM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 8:25 AM
  • Dear Magon,

This is quite informative and I might study it further. Many thanks.

Bob

Friday, December 3, 2010 7:14 PM